Joined a photo club last night

Clovishound

Last month the Pup and I went to an "art" show at Magnolia Plantation, knowing that there would be some photographers displaying/selling their work. There was a representative of the Carolina Nature Photographers Association there. We decided to attend a meeting and last night we thought it would be good to try it on for size. I was a little intimidated by the talent many of the members displayed. That's probably a good thing, as I'm more likely to learn from those who are more talented, than being able to show off my own skills, such as they are. The local chapter has local outings once a month, and the larger org has weekend outings at different locations throughout the Carolinas. The Pup has already decided she wants to go to one in North Carolina.

I can already tell that the majority of the members have a lot more disposable income than I do. That gives them the opportunity to travel to exotic locations to shoot. The presentation last night was about an African safari that one of the members took, along with the amazing pictures he took. I will add it wasn't a "look at what I did" type of presentation, but rather what to expect on an a safari. I would be traveling to some of these places if I could, but I also believe that if you aren't able to get good images in your local area, you need to learn and grow more as a photographer.

Anyway, looking forward to the experience.

BF Hammer

Good on you. In the past 2-3 years I have found the websites for the Madison, WI astronomy club and an art-photo club. I've not reached out to either yet. Admittedly I primarily am interested in the astronomy club to access their dark sky campsite. The photo club looks very interesting as they have studios, darkrooms for members to process film and make prints. And they display works from other photographers around the midwest. I am unsure that I could dedicate enough time in to bring value to the cost of membership. So I continue doing my thing.

Clovishound

Don't know what the club dues are for the photo club are, but this club is fairly reasonable. $75 a year for a family membership. I've had experience with another hobby club. It was a great learning experience, but escalating dues and other costs priced me out of the market at the time.

Clovishound

I went on my first club outing this weekend. We went to the Swan Iris Lake in Sumter SC. Lots of swans, geese and a few ducks. They had 7 different kinds of swans. Since they feed them regularly, and there are lots of people coming through the park, the waterfowl are not afraid of people. They even tolerate the crazy ones with long lenses and three legged props.

The Pup and I had a great time. Got a chance to get to know a number of the club members better, and talked shop over lunch.

Heck, I even got a few nice pictures.

_DAB1175-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg

_DAB1325-topaz-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg

blackstar

Hey, This is the kind of photo club I like to join (low cost, friendly members, good outing places, etc). Unfortunately, I found none at my location and neighboring areas... :cry: