I'm over 160,000 clicks....

Brian Small

...on my D300. I'm dropping it off at C.R.I.S. in Arizona for cleaning and a few minor issues before leaving for our remote summer cabin. I'm trying to decide if I should get the shutter mechanism replaced before we leave, or run the risk of having it fail while we're in northern Idaho, where shipping is no easy matter. I know it's my call, but just wondered if anyone has had a camera run to 200,00 clicks. Any thoughts appreciated.

Brian

Horoscope Fish

...on my D300. I'm dropping it off at C.R.I.S. in Arizona for cleaning and a few minor issues before leaving for our remote summer cabin. I'm trying to decide if I should get the shutter mechanism replaced before we leave, or run the risk of having it fail while we're in northern Idaho, where shipping is no easy matter. I know it's my call, but just wondered if anyone has had a camera run to 200,00 clicks. Any thoughts appreciated.
Normally I'd say if it ain't broke don't fix it, but... 160K is a lot AND you're going to have it on the lift anyway. I'm assuming you have no backup body? If that's the case I'd lean toward having the work done if only for peace of mind. Will you have time to thoroughly test the body/new shutter mech' before departing?

Moab Man

This is a terrible conundrum. I would only have it changed if you will have the time to run it hard (the shutter) to make sure all is good. If not, I would wait and do it after the trip.

Brian Small

Hi, and thanks for replying so quickly. The D300 is the only body I own and I should have it back in my hands within a week, so yes, I'll have time to test it. I recall my mother saying many times, "waste not, want not", and I'd hate to "waste" 30,000 clicks. But I also remember the commercial, "pay me now or pay me later." I guess I'll bite the bullet.

Brian Small

Thanks for replying, Moab Man. It's running 8fps just fine, and that's why I'm at 160,000 clicks. (Pro baseball games + birds in flight). Guess I'll go ahead and get it replaced and keep the old one as a "spare".

Horoscope Fish

Hi, and thanks for replying so quickly. The D300 is the only body I own and I should have it back in my hands within a week, so yes, I'll have time to test it. I recall my mother saying many times, "waste not, want not", and I'd hate to "waste" 30,000 clicks. But I also remember the commercial, "pay me now or pay me later." I guess I'll bite the bullet.
I can appreciate you not wanting to waste 30K clicks but that appears to me to be an assumption based on facts not in evidence...

As my daddy once told me, "Don't tempt Fate, son. It's stupid."

MartinCornwall

When my shutter failed after an accident on my D7000 at 93,000 clicks I sent it off for a quote from Nikon. £280 pound to replace the shutter mechanism, okayed that then a few days later another quote for £580 this time as the shutter blades scratched the sensor so it was a write off. So if you go for the shutter replacement you will not have the worry of the sensor getting scratched if the shutter fails.

Bukitimah

I didn't check mine but should be below 100k. Still a long way to go. Going by today's pre-owned, I don't think replacing the shutter is an option. The question is when you should get a standby cam just in case. And which model?

For when, I am trying to delay this since Nikon is helping with newer models every year to bring down pretty owned cam price. moder? Presently the D7100 and D610 are just too attractive. FX is the lens cost issue for me.

Bill16

I'd buy a back up if I just had one body period! As for when to replace a shutter, I can't say. Shutter life can last twice as long as predicted or fail anytime before that with no telling when, so I couldn't say when or even if would replace my D300 shutter in your position. With prices going down, replacing the whole camera may be cheaper by the time I have to worry about it. :)

Bukitimah

DSC_8726_zpsokzxzpu7.jpg

ISO 500 still quite usable.