I am planning to buy my first camera

ElijahCamera

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and relatively new to the world of photography, I am planning to buy my first camera, what should I pay attention to when buying a first camera?

nikonbill

Contributor
Welcome to the forum.

First decide how you will use your camera, such as do you see yourself liking to have a small camera at the ready or maybe something more dedicated to "setting up" shots.

What do you like to photograph? (its OK if its everything)

Next go where you can "hold" the camera if possible. Everyone is different on what feels natural on control layout, make sure the controls feel easy to use to you.

these very basic thoughts will start the process

Clovishound

Another important piece pf information is your budget. While the top of the line flagship camera bodies may have a lot of capabilities and ruggedness, they are not always the best fit for every photographer, regardless of the capability of their wallet.

Are you a technically oriented person, or more artist? In my household there is a big difference between myself and my daughter. She has a very artistic bent and often comes back with some great images, yet she has little aptitude or interest in the technical aspects. I am just the opposite, with lots of knowledge and comfort with the nuts and bolts of photography, but lacking some of the artistic side. She really doesn't like my camera much, but rather prefers a more entry level body that has some of the presets for Sports, Landscape, Portrait, etc. I prefer to make the choices myself and tend to rely on manual, or aperture preferred modes. I would not be happy with her camera for very long, if I could afford an upgrade.

Regardless of your preference in a camera body, don't skimp on lenses. A quality piece of glass will be a treasure for decades to come. Camera bodies come and go.

ElijahCamera

Welcome to the forum.

First decide how you will use your camera, such as do you see yourself liking to have a small camera at the ready or maybe something more dedicated to "setting up" shots.

What do you like to photograph? (its OK if its everything)

Next go where you can "hold" the camera if possible. Everyone is different on what feels natural on control layout, make sure the controls feel easy to use to you.

these very basic thoughts will start the process
Thanks a lot nikonbill for the tips. I think I would prefer a small camera that I can take with me every day when I go somewhere. Most of all, I like to take pictures of nature, parks, gardens, so far I have photographed all of them with my phone. I will definitely listen to you and go to local stores to see the camera in person and try it out.

nikonbill

Contributor
I think I would prefer a small camera that I can take with me every day when I go somewhere.
Check out Nikon's Coolpix line and see if something suits you. They are very capable cameras, then you can participate in the forum chalanges.

I have Z50 mirror less and it's small and light, if you wanted a more advanced camera (harder to pack along though).

Best of luck

ElijahCamera

Check out Nikon's Coolpix line and see if something suits you. They are very capable cameras, then you can participate in the forum chalanges.

I have Z50 mirror less and it's small and light, if you wanted a more advanced camera (harder to pack along though).

Best of luck
Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I like that option