Getting a 'hard' look?

BF Hammer

I see mainly desaturated to b&w with extra contrast. Shooting film they would use a red filter on lens to add more contrast. You can apply a red filter in the post-processing when converting to b&w.

Use less diffused lighting, more direct light. Sharpen rather than soften details like what is more traditional with portraits.

Edit: I looked more carefully at the link. Only a couple of the portraits are embracing a harsher light setup. Mostly he is lighting his models normally with some diffusion. But I think a snoot on a strobe would add some mood.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
What are you using for editing? If it's Llightroom or Camera RAW, they have profiles such as Camera Standard or Adobe Vivid. Each one produces a different amount of contrast and color as soon as it is chosen. But those images are a higher contrast.

Clovishound

I think you will find that it is going to be more about post processing, than how they are shot. I have a couple pics I shot of my neighbor's grandkids, and they have somewhat of the same look. I didn't do anything special. They were shot outside, later in the afternoon, so there was no direct sun. I edited them in Lightroom, and the best were the ones I converted to B&W using the B&W option, then I used the individual color sliders in their B&W editor to get the look I wanted. I'm not saying they were anywhere nearly as good as the ones you linked to, just had a similar look, or feel to them.

I would say to do an experimental shoot, then see what you can come up with, and work from there.