first play with Kiron Manual lens

John Young

I got a Kiron 80-200 F4 manual lens off ebay cheap and so far I am very impressed with it. Yeah it takes a little getting used to manual focusing but the focus has got some nice resistance behind it so making it easier to get the focus right.

The lens itself is a thing of beauty, well made (metal) and the front and rear glass are spotless.. its like brand new

Anyway for anyone interested here is one sample and a 100% crop. The photos have not been edited at all apart from resizing for the forum. These were taken at 1000 iso so maybe some grain there to. These were taken wide open for the lens at F4

kiron_sample.jpg

Its sharp enough to see the dust on there :D
kiron_sample_100rop.jpg

stmv

smiles.. yes,,, old glass.. new cameras so much fun. Kiron were staffed according to the legends by ex Nikkor lens designers and it shows. If you look at the pictures of Kiron lens, you would swear they were Nikkon lens, especially the 75-150. Yours 80-200 is like a splitting image of the famous Nikkor legend.

So,, really a great bargain way to buy old high quality lens.. Of course, some of the old Nikkor glass is still cheap too,, like the 75-150,, one of my favorite zooms.

good find.

if you fit it with the emulator chip it will do everything a modern lens will in all modes and all you have to do is focus ..see my post on this on the D7000 area

some its just a simple glue on job ,,if you post a picture of the mount end I will tell you how to do it ...

Last edited:
well the emmulator goes at the bottom of your picture and it looks like you would have to remve that moon shaped shield ..file it and re fit it ...these are only covers and shields .you dont need to take the mount off ....take a look at the details on my D7000 section posting ..

PS you cannot programme it with all nikons so which camera have you got/Which nikons do you have access to ..friends/rels ? FILL IN YOUR PROFILE !!!!!

Last edited:

John Young

Thanks, I have a Nikon D600 and I tried to put the info in my profile but its does not stay there.

Tried twice to add my camera and it does not save it when I press SAVE :confused:

EDIT -Got it working, it did not like me putting Nikon first just needed the D600

Last edited:
I think you need to go forum actions ...edit profile...
.I think you can programm it with a D600 ..I sugest you try to take off the shields and if thats not a problem to you order a emmulator ...it makes it like a modern lens apart from the focus and you can even adjust the back focus .....

read my post !!! Go to the D7000 section I have all the information there $30 inc post but your D600 has a non CPU lens setting in the menu ..see if that gives you all the controls you need first.

John Young

read my post !!! Go to the D7000 section I have all the information there $30 inc post but your D600 has a non CPU lens setting in the menu ..see if that gives you all the controls you need first.

Yeah I have found that non CPU setting, I put in the focal length of the lens and the largest aperture now the camera sees to see it OK. To be honest I did this when I first got the lens but I was not totally sure what I was doing but thought it was worth a go so thanks for clearing that up.

Before I did that the camera said F0 - F10 or similar for the aperture now its says the proper F4 - F22

smiles.. yes,,, old glass.. new cameras so much fun. Kiron were staffed according to the legends by ex Nikkor lens designers and it shows. If you look at the pictures of Kiron lens, you would swear they were Nikkon lens, especially the 75-150. Yours 80-200 is like a splitting image of the famous Nikkor legend.

So,, really a great bargain way to buy old high quality lens.. Of course, some of the old Nikkor glass is still cheap too,, like the 75-150,, one of my favorite zooms.

good find.

Actually, the Kiron 70-150 version came out before the Nikon E version. It is also smaller, lighter, and better built than the Nikon E 75-150. Kiron made the Nikon version, per Nikon specs. BOTH lenses deliver very good results.