EXIF Value for Lens Fine Tune?

Lautermilch

I am looking for the variable name for the value of the lens fine tune so I can view the images on my PC instead of the camera LCD to make the decision of what is the best offset value for sharpness? Also for those familiar with this procedure what is the best EXIF reader for Windows that will show me the varible?

For those that are not familiar, -

Fred Kingston

That's a specialized value unique to Nikon and probably only their software is going to read it. Using Nikon's NX Studio, you can see the value. Interestingly, they don't list it the XMP/IPTC panel but in the INFO panel under camera info...

Here's a screen shot of the right-hand portion of NX Studio... It shows whether AF Fine Tune is Ob/Off and its value. There are a few conversations on a Github subforum discussing how to extract the data with specialized software (think write your own) but I don't think that's what you want.

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 7.39.18 AM.png

Lautermilch

Thanks, I did find that with NX studio if I past the info into Wordpad I get the number I was using.
I wanted to see the settings on this shoot that I did a few years ago.

I would say they are the sharpest that I have done. I see the lens was my 50mm and the fine tune was -10

Fred Kingston

That data appears to only be in the Nikon NEF file, and if you had exported those to Jpegs using Nikon software, then the AF Fine Tune data is transferred... but if you used a different sofware package, then that data is not exported to the Jpeg... At least, if I export a NEF using NX Studio, it retains and reads that data in NX Studio... BUT if I use Lightroom to Export to a Jpeg, NX Studio then doesn't see that data in the Jpeg.

Do you have the original RAW files for those images?

Needa

Challenge Team
AF FT.png

If the info is a available in the Jpeg seems export program dependent. The screen shot is from a Darktable exported Jepg viewed with ExifTool. Both Darktable and ExifTool are available for Windows but I have no experience to the usage on that OS.

Last edited: