DX mode change

Needa

Challenge Team
Location I posted will forcing it to DX which will cause it to shoot in DX even with an |FX lens.

Last edited:

Clovishound

This begs the question of the reason behind this. Yes, you will gain the 1.5 crop factor, effectively turning your 500mm lens into a 750mm. However, since you are not using a large portion of your sensor, your resolution will suffer commensurately. You can accomplish the same thing by shooting your FX lens in FX mode and then cropping in post processing. This will give you more flexibility, and you won't run the risk of forgetting to return to FX mode later down the road.

Fred Kingston

This begs the question of the reason behind this. Yes, you will gain the 1.5 crop factor, effectively turning your 500mm lens into a 750mm. However, since you are not using a large portion of your sensor, your resolution will suffer commensurately. You can accomplish the same thing by shooting your FX lens in FX mode and then cropping in post processing. This will give you more flexibility, and you won't run the risk of forgetting to return to FX mode later down the road.
The D810 has a 36M sensor... so cropping will reduce the sensor are but still leave more than the ubiquitous 20M available...

Clovishound

That's true, but my point is that shooting full frame and cropping is equivalent to shooting in DX mode.

If the OP wants to shoot in DX mode for framing or other reasons, that is fine, just pointing out that there is no resolution, or magnification gain by shooting in DX mode with an FX lens versus shooting FX and cropping.

BF Hammer

That's true, but my point is that shooting full frame and cropping is equivalent to shooting in DX mode.

If the OP wants to shoot in DX mode for framing or other reasons, that is fine, just pointing out that there is no resolution, or magnification gain by shooting in DX mode with an FX lens versus shooting FX and cropping.
I agree with you in principle Clovis, but I also would have to believe the original poster has some kind of motivation here. Maybe his post processing workflow is automated and he does not want to crop at that time? Many possibilities I suppose. Maybe he attended the Jared Polin school of editing and refuses to crop in post ever. LOL.

But yes, zero difference in final photo if you activate DX mode or crop the center of the image in post.

BobNSA

Thsnks for both fir input from Clovishounf and Fred. I want use the feature as Fred stated. I prefer yo see what my composition will be. There still is plenty of data in the DX/Cropped mode.

BobNSA

I do some surfing photography. My camera is on a tripod and often in live view mode. It is much easier for me to compose the picture in DX giving me the extra reach that I sometimes need. FYI, I also programed my preview button to access that feature to make a quick change. That said, it's for a very specific shooting situation.