Double focus in z6ii?

blackstar

Maybe it's on z7ii and z9 also, but I found this strange behavior when using z6ii to shoot a weekly challenge entry (glasses). In the viewfinder, I saw there are two focus rectangulars partially overlaying each other (I set Wide Area Large). At first, I thought my eyes got double-vision. But then it became consistent happening every time I pressed BB... Then I thought my z6ii was double-focusing on different objects which was weird that I didn't see and plan to shoot two separate objects in the scene. Anyway, if that's the case, how could I pick one of the two focus areas? I didn't know. The scene I planned for the entry was to combine both the glasses and the mirrored image from the surrounding objects (plants, window, etc) which are shown in the glasses. Guess I just had to try and see what happen. The replay showed most of the images have sharp focus on the glasses alone, the mirrored part is much unfocused (although it is supposedly on the same plane as the glasses). Since didn't know how to select one of the two focus areas, I used the macro technique: move the camera back and forth to get the part (mirrored image) I want in focus! Then combine two partially focused images to make one all-in-focus image.

The question remains: Is this (double-focus) a new function of the camera? In what situation the camera would show double-focus areas? How do you use it? Most important: If the camera shows two different focus areas (objects), although the two objects are on the same focus plane, one object is mirrored by another object from a different focus plane, how do you make two objects in focus in one shot? Appreciate all comments.

Clovishound

I get that with my Z5 when I am in certain focus settings. I believe it's the dynamic area setting. I've been using a single point a lot lately, and don't get that. I'm pretty sure that in the dynamic area setting that when there are multiple areas highlighted, they are in the same plane.

I haven't been shooting moving subjects much, so the single point has been working better for me. I'm hoping to get out shooting more in the near future. Wife had her first eye surgery yesterday, and if things go well, I may have more freedom to spend some time away from the house. I may have to explore the dynamic area when I start shooting things like flying birds, and moving animals. The eye tracking is supposed to be a great feature.

nikonbill

Contributor
Blackstar - Looking at the Z6-II manual it shows there are three wide area large modes -- Wide area large - wide area large people - and wide area large animals. If people or animals were selected I suspect the processor was trying to find focus on the eyes (thinking there were eyes behind the glasses). Do you recall seeing any arrows beside the focus points?

Z6_II 2022-10-05 214744.jpg

blackstar

Thanks, Bill. I set "wide area large" while the "double" focusing happened. It was not a "double-line square", but two big "single-line rectangulars" that were partially overlayed (not completely separated). Now from the page of the manual you showed, I seem to remember there were left and right arrows I saw in EVF. So that's the way to select which area to focus! But the question still remains how do you focus on two objects (areas) which are supposed at the same plane? Well, I guess the assumption of two objects situating at the same plane is probably faulty...

nikonbill

Contributor
If my understanding is correct, those arrows you saw indicate you can "select" the square you want to focus on with your left or right arrow control. It seems the idea is to allow the photographer to choose what "eye" they want sharp. In a normal people shooting scenario this would work fine. I think the camera just saw two "eyes" and wanted to know witch one you wanted sharp.

Your shot turned out great, I think you executed what you wanted to see very well (based on your description). I love the "pin point" focus for a shot like you were doing with the Z series system. Stacking is likely best to get very sharp detail.

blackstar

If my understanding is correct, those arrows you saw indicate you can "select" the square you want to focus on with your left or right arrow control. It seems the idea is to allow the photographer to choose what "eye" they want sharp. In a normal people shooting scenario this would work fine. I think the camera just saw two "eyes" and wanted to know witch one you wanted sharp.

Your shot turned out great, I think you executed what you wanted to see very well (based on your description). I love the "pin point" focus for a shot like you were doing with the Z series system. Stacking is likely best to get very sharp detail.

Bill, This is still unclear now without experimenting all the scenarios out. In the Manual page you showed, it doesn't indicate any "double focus areas (rectangles or squares)", but I did see two (partially) separate focus rectangles.

My thought: if select "Auto-area AF (people)", there will be one focus point (square) on one eye which is determined by the camera. However, if there is another eye or person appear in the scene, it will give arrows for other selection by the photographer and the focus point will move to the new selection.

If select "Wide-area Large (people)" or "Wide-area Large", Since camera does not decide which focus point or area, but does the photographer, it will show multi-focus points (areas) if there are multi-objects (eyes, persons, etc.) in the scene and arrows for focus point selection by the photographer. Too bad I didn't think of this when double-focus areas present in EVF and didn't try the arrows to select a focus area, but puzzled and shocked by double-vision!

I hope as more z users start to play the AF game, things like this will clear out soon and we all improve and enjoy more with z.