Depth of Field Calculator

Horoscope Fish

Chimp/Schimp, I'd rather get it right the first time (using a DOF calc or whatever).
Well, good luck with that. As has been pointed out those DoF calculators aren't accurate to begin with because there are so many variables at play with every shot. In short you'll be chimp/schimp-ing either way.

Doesn't make sense to take a shot then spend a lot of time trying to analyze it on a 3inch screen in broad daylight with the sun at your back. By the time you get it right, or at least right for you, and you're ready to shoot again, you've realized the sun has set.
Yeah it does; because, as has also already been pointed out, it's a fundamental principle of good photography. It's also how you learn to shoot well instinctively and creatively instead of mechanically.

Kingyo

You guys have just "got" to get that Chimp off your back.

chimp_camera-rolleiflex.jpg

rocketman122

Chimp/Schimp, I'd rather get it right the first time (using a DOF calc or whatever). Doesn't make sense to take a shot then spend a lot of time trying to analyze it on a 3inch screen in broad daylight with the sun at your back. By the time you get it right, or at least right for you, and you're ready to shoot again, you've realized the sun has set.

that may actually be the case for a beginner. on the other hand, trying to decipher a dof calculator and getting what you want through numbers wont work. and it matters not at all. unless youre shooting at open apertures like 1.8 and need to know if her eyebrow and nose will be in focus, stick with shooting and bracketing with different exposures and use the money for lenses.

when you shoot you already what you need. theres nothing new in photography regarding dof. its not hi tech science to know what you need in focus. geeking out the pety stuff. from experience,shoot more, calculate less. walk around see different angles. different perspectives. shoot high shoot low. change lenses. leave the numbers, get into the visual. photography is not numbers or calculators. bring emotion to your images, not inches and feet.

rocketman122

a lot of resistance to better technique. better results.

" You guys have just "got" to get that Chimp off your back."
I can say the same and get a smartphone. they help with a lot of things. save the $100 for the calculator and see this
The 10 Best Smartphones You Can Buy for Under $100

a smartphone can do a lot of fantastic things. try it

you can get dof calculator apps for free.

Last edited:

rocketman122

the funny thought just got to me..

youre outdoors, going to shoot a barn and some trees in the far background. you set the tripod, set the camera, whip out the app..you input some numbers, it says from 10ft to 70ft in range.

now what? you go take a long range measuring stick and measure where 70ft ends to see what you want in focus, is?

10-000Meter-FEET-Folding-Digital-font-b-measuring-b-font-font-b-wheel-b-font-Distance.jpg

how ridiculous.

Kevin H

youre outdoors, going to shoot a barn and some trees in the far background. you set the tripod, set the camera, whip out the app..you input some numbers, it says from 10ft to 70ft in range.

now what? you go take a long range measuring stick and measure where 70ft ends to see what you want in focus, is?

View attachment 236453

how ridiculous.

LOL good job he doesn't do Birds in flight :D

Last edited:

Horoscope Fish

youre outdoors, going to shoot a barn and some trees in the far background. you set the tripod, set the camera, whip out the app..you input some numbers, it says from 10ft to 70ft in range. now what?
Simple...

After computing the radius, apply two-points of Kentucky Windage (multiply by the crop factor if shooting DX) then apply a chi-squared distribution to the sum of the squares. Why do you guys insist on making this so hard??!!

singlerosa_RIP

Rocketman beat me to the punch. How else would you know the distance? Plus, all that crap takes time. Sometimes, you don't have time and that's where the knowledge kicks in.

RocketCowboy

View attachment 236453

how ridiculous.

Us nerdy types use laser range finders these days. The old measuring wheels and yard sticks are so 1990s. :)