D7500 shoots even when not in focus

RobInMA

I have set up back button focusing on my D7500 and it works OK. But the camera still takes pictures when not in focus. My AF-S and AF-C priority selections are both "focus." AF Activation is set to AF-ON only. My C1 Shutter-release button AE-L is set to OFF. I have the exact same settings on my D7000 and it works just fine. I must be missing something. Thank you.

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

Someone will be along shortly to help you out.

RobInMA

Do you get some pictures in focus or are they always out of focus?
Do you use UV filter?
I don't use a filter. The pictures that are in focus when the shutter opens are in focus for sure. It's not a general focus problem. It's just that the camera will take pictures when not in focus and I would prefer it not do that. Thanks!

Fred Kingston

Menu options A1, and A2 control whether the shutter "Releases" or "only releases when there is a "Focus" lock. Check those two settings. If it's set to "focus" and it's not got a "focus lock"...then the camera's menu structure may be hosed. Start by doing a camera reset and starting over...

A good test to see if you are getting a focus lock is by turning on the "beep" option in your camera. It will only work in AF-S mode... but when you get a focus lock, you should here a small beep in the camera...

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I set all of my bodies to focus only. When using BBF and AF-C, there are times when it refuses to take the photo if I've missed focus. However, there were times when I'd take photos that were still out of focus. So what I did was to enable the red focus point/box to show up on the images after they were taken. At times it shows I just missed the subject by a little bit. That might be caused by the slight delay between pressing the shutter (usually my D500) and when the image is actually recorded.

RobInMA

Thank you for sending that link! I'm pretty sure I already did everything it says but I will double and triple check :)

Menu options A1, and A2 control whether the shutter "Releases" or "only releases when there is a "Focus" lock. Check those two settings. If it's set to "focus" and it's not got a "focus lock"...then the camera's menu structure may be hosed. Start by doing a camera reset and starting over...

A good test to see if you are getting a focus lock is by turning on the "beep" option in your camera. It will only work in AF-S mode... but when you get a focus lock, you should here a small beep in the camera...
It's definitely getting a focus when I press the BBF button AF-L AF-E. But it's also focusing with the shutter button and then allows the picture to be taken when focus is not locked in. That is, no beep, no focus lock dot in the viewfinder. It's not a huge deal, I just wanted to avoid taking out of focus pictures by mistake. Thank you for answering.

Fred Kingston

Well that's your problem. You need to turn OFF the focus when you 1/2 press the shutter button. There's a menu setting to do that... I don't have a D7500 and and too busy to research it, but there's a setting to turn off the 1/2 press focus on the shutter button...

It's AF-6 AF Activation

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
The focus beep and red box indicating where focus was when taking the image are settings you can turn on or off.

RobInMA

Well that's your problem. You need to turn OFF the focus when you 1/2 press the shutter button. There's a menu setting to do that... I don't have a D7500 and and too busy to research it, but there's a setting to turn off the 1/2 press focus on the shutter button...

It's AF-6 AF Activation
Yes, I have already done that. That's why I made the post because it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I'll update the firmware. Thank you for responding!

Fred Kingston

Yes, I have already done that. That's why I made the post because it doesn't seem to be working. Maybe I'll update the firmware. Thank you for responding!
if you've already turned off the 1/2 shutter focus, and the camera is still re-focusing, then you need to do a camera reset by pressing and holding the two buttons on the camera that have the small Green dots next to them. This is not a firmware issue.

RobInMA

if you've already turned off the 1/2 shutter focus, and the camera is still re-focusing, then you need to do a camera reset by pressing and holding the two buttons on the camera that have the small Green dots next to them. This is not a firmware issue.
Doh, I should have thought of that. Thank you!!

Needa

Challenge Team
Look for save/load setting in the setup menu. After you get it functioning the way you want, backup you setting to a spare memory card for easy restoration later.

Last edited:

RobInMA

I haven't actually done it yet. I want to make sure I make note of all my settings first so I can get back to them afterwards. Thank you for the followup! This is a great group; I'm happy I discovered it.
That seems to have worked. Thanks so much for your help.