D7300 rumor

Nero

As a D7200 user, I'm really not interested. IT would take a few models before the changes became significant enough to upgrade. That's assuming I didn't just get the upgraded versions of the D500, D610 or even the D750.

Nikon is releasing too many cameras too often with upgrades that are too insignificant. Clearly their recent losses haven't helped them see the problem.

RocketCowboy

Nikon is releasing too many cameras too often with upgrades that are too insignificant. Clearly their recent losses haven't helped them see the problem.

You hit the nail on the head, IMO. Nikon has been too quick to obsolete models (in their mind), but consumers have grown tired of trying to keep up. The array of different models are not well defined, so current owners stay with what they have, and new owners buy in at the price point they're comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nero

You hit the nail on the head, IMO. Nikon has been too quick to obsolete models (in their mind), but consumers have grown tired of trying to keep up. The array of different models are not well defined, so current owners stay with what they have, and new owners buy in at the price point they're comfortable with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still find it hilarious that they released the D5300, then soon after released the D5500 which was mostly just a D5300 with a touch screen and a few minor, non-noteworthy tweaks.

robbins.photo

As a D7200 user, I'm really not interested. IT would take a few models before the changes became significant enough to upgrade. That's assuming I didn't just get the upgraded versions of the D500, D610 or even the D750.

Not necessarily. Most likely they have already been working on these for release prior to the restructuring. Not much point in holding them back if there ready to go out the door and you've already spent money on the design, etc.

Nero

Not necessarily. Most likely they have already been working on these for release prior to the restructuring. Not much point in holding them back if there ready to go out the door and you've already spent money on the design, etc.
There is kind of a point when there's a chance that it could make your recent losses worse. That'll depend on how many people choose to upgrade, though with this camera's starting price and the fact that there are probably quite a few used D7200's/D500's floating around out there a lot of those people may go for one of the later choices instead of a new D7300.

This is just speculation though, only time will tell.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

robbins.photo

There is kind of a point when there's a chance that it could make your recent losses worse. That'll depend on how many people choose to upgrade, though with this camera's starting price and the fact that there are probably quite a few used D7200's/D500's floating around out there a lot of those people may go for one of the later choices instead of a new D7300.

This is just speculation though, only time will tell.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

I do hope Nikon does choose to slow down there "upgrade" releases and do more significant upgrades, I think it would be a good business decision for them. I guess we'll see what happens from here, way too early to tell really.

As for me I'm usually a generation or two back from current anyway, and I don't really upgrade till I think it's well worth the expense. For now my D600 is doing the job admirably so no plans to upgrade anytime in the near future.

Once Nikon releases it's 850 and the prices come down on both the D810 and D800, they might get down to a price level that I think it would be worth looking at, but for now I'm good with what I have.

But of course it's different for everybody. Some folks really like having the latest and greatest tech they can get. Me I prefer to buy used and let someone else take the hit for depreciation. But since I don't make any money at this and it is just a hobby, I have to consider that in my equation.

Nero

I do hope Nikon does choose to slow down there "upgrade" releases and do more significant upgrades, I think it would be a good business decision for them. I guess we'll see what happens from here, way too early to tell really.

As for me I'm usually a generation or two back from current anyway, and I don't really upgrade till I think it's well worth the expense. For now my D600 is doing the job admirably so no plans to upgrade anytime in the near future.

Once Nikon releases it's 850 and the prices come down on both the D810 and D800, they might get down to a price level that I think it would be worth looking at, but for now I'm good with what I have.

But of course it's different for everybody. Some folks really like having the latest and greatest tech they can get. Me I prefer to buy used and let someone else take the hit for depreciation. But since I don't make any money at this and it is just a hobby, I have to consider that in my equation.
Me too. I can think of one reason why they release new models so quickly but the downsides outweigh the upsides. They definitely need to slow down.

When I upgraded to my D7200 I got it the day it came out so for a while I did have the latest gen but that's mainly because my saving up and deciding to upgrade my D3100 just happened to occur around the time the D7200 was announced. I do like to have the latest and greatest (as long as the price is right) but that depends on how much of an upgrade the latest model is from the one I currently own. if it's not significant enough, I'll wait.

As for Nikon, time will definitely tell. They may be releasing this because they planned to do so even before they learned of how much their profits have gone down and if so then let's hope this is the last time they keep up with their current upgrade cycle or their losses will only get worse.

john*thomas

I've wondered about this business model for a long time. Luckily it's not my problem. I don't know what percentage of people have to upgrade to simply upgrade. I bought an Olympus OM/10 around 1980. I used it until around 1998 when I ran into the sticking sensor that I found out was common. It didn't make much sense at that time to get it fixed.

I will use my D7100 until it decides to quit working.