D5100 Work In Progress

wildshots

Several years ago now, I finally saved enough for my very first DSLR. I chose a D5100, mostly because it fit what I could scrape up. Loved that camera. It opened a whole new world. Even with only the 18-55 kit lens it was a step up. A friend upgraded her lens and I was able to purchase her old F mount Tamron 18-270mm ... WOWZERZZZ!!! Needless to say, I was happy, for a short time. Going up a steep rough gravel road, my camera and lens somehow slipped from the bag. I ran over them. The lens didn't fare well at all. Several parts broken and cracked beyond any hope of repair. The camera was damaged as well. It no longer focused clearly. Lots of reading and ordering a hex wrench followed. Working with a light, the camera and half my body inside a trash bag to reduce dust getting into the body, I adjusted, shot some, adjusted (minute adjustments mind you) and shot some more. I got close. Time passed, I was able to come up with a D7100 and an 18-300mm walk around lens. The old D5100 was abandoned, until... same friend dropped another F mount Tamron 18-270mm lens. It would not zoom or focus. She gifted it to me for parts. I worked with it, manually and got some of it's versatility back. I put Pledge, furniture polish onto a paper towel and carefully lubed the segmented lens barrels. I got close :) I continue to work with this old relic. Here is a recent shot (about a month ago I think.

cardinal 1 - 1000.jpg

Sandpatch

..... I continue to work with this old relic. Here is a recent shot (about a month ago I think. ...

That's a fine shot and it's great that you've been able to coax the Tamron back to life. Sometime in the early 1980s I dropped my Dad's Nikon EL-2 that he'd loaned me. I wrapped the camera in my down jacket to keep it cushioned in my car's trunk. At the next stop, I forgot about the camera, grabbed my jacket and the camera fell to the ground. 😑 I sent it to Nikon's repair shop on nearby Long Island and they fixed it at surprisingly fair cost.

Thinking of your D5100, my D5100 remains my first and only DSLR, bought 12+ years ago. It still gets a lot of use. I think about upgrading every now and then.

wildshots

That's a fine shot and it's great that you've been able to coax the Tamron back to life. Sometime in the early 1980s I dropped my Dad's Nikon EL-2 that he'd loaned me. I wrapped the camera in my down jacket to keep it cushioned in my car's trunk. At the next stop, I forgot about the camera, grabbed my jacket and the camera fell to the ground. 😑 I sent it to Nikon's repair shop on nearby Long Island and they fixed it at surprisingly fair cost.

Thinking of your D5100, my D5100 remains my first and only DSLR, bought 12+ years ago. It still gets a lot of use. I think about upgrading every now and then.
Thanks for the response Sandpatch. I exercise my faithful D5100 regularly. The shutter count's not that high so it should be with me for years to come. I really expect it to have more years than me. And, that's ok. :)