D500 still worth it in 2024?

drummerJ99

Currently have a D7200. Do alot of sports and wildlife with a few portraits sessions thrown in. I'm thinking of upgrading to the D500. I like the FPS, focus system and weatherproofing. Is that still a valid upgrade option in 2024? Or should I be looking somewhere else?

I'm not sure about full frame due to wildlife and losing some reach with current lenses (24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 with a 2x extender).

What do you consider high shutter for this model and what would you consider a good price?

D'Grump

Currently have a D7200. Do alot of sports and wildlife with a few portraits sessions thrown in. I'm thinking of upgrading to the D500. I like the FPS, focus system and weatherproofing. Is that still a valid upgrade option in 2024? Or should I be looking somewhere else?

I'm not sure about full frame due to wildlife and losing some reach with current lenses (24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 with a 2x extender).

What do you consider high shutter for this model and what would you consider a good price?
Hey,Drummer! I went from a D7100 to a D500 a little over 2 years ago, and I find it to be an exceptional camera. I’m a career maintenance person and REALLY like mechanical things, so when I decided to upgrade, mirrorless was not on my radar. I wanted to stick with aps-c, and was familiar/comfortable with Nikon, so I went for what most people were calling the best aps-c camera on the market. I managed to get one of the new last ones built and am very happy with it. I wouldn’t hesitate to grab one with 35-45,000 clicks on it. Check on MPB.com, fred miranda (if you’re a member there) roberts camera (in the used section), KEH, and even on Nikonites, Nikonians, and Ugly Hedgehog photography forums. I think that if you like the D7200, you will love the D500. The menus are similar, but the control layout might take some getting used to, and I find that the bottom line in the viewfinder ( with the focus conformation dots) to be kinda dark. Seems to be a concern with a lot of owners. Anyway, if you decide to take the plunge, good luck with it. And get a copy of Darrell Young's book on the D500…….it helps!
Andy

Peter7100

I agree with the above post as I also went from a D7100 to a D500 and the difference is amazing especially for moving subjects.

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
I also went from the D7100 to the D500. I now have three of them, one for everyday use, one for nature and one waiting for me to ship it to Nikon for repairs since 2020. I don't think they were accepting repairs during COVID and it just never got done.

drummerJ99

Thanks everyone. That's pretty much what I assumed. Now just to find a good deal on one LOL UsedPhotoPro (Roberts Camera used section) is about a hour from me, was hoping to pick one up form there but so far all their ones available are 70,000+ shutters. Really don't want to go that high.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I am a wildlife and sports shooter for the most part, and I have three D500s. I love the D500, and I just got a used one for $800 used and in great shape as a spare. (I normally take two bodies with me so I can be ready quickly without having to change lenses.) The focus system is outstanding, 10 fps is very useful, and they are really built well, solid as a brick. I have one with around 400,000 shutter actuations.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Thanks everyone. That's pretty much what I assumed. Now just to find a good deal on one LOL UsedPhotoPro (Roberts Camera used section) is about a hour from me, was hoping to pick one up form there but so far all their ones available are 70,000+ shutters. Really don't want to go that high.

Keep checking, I got one from Robert's with 17,000. Keep an eye on MPB, too. Good luck shopping.

D'Grump

At mpb.com @5:10 PM eastern time.
Andy

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-08-27 at 5.02.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-08-27 at 5.02.56 PM.png
    300.7 KB · Views: 14

bluzman

It's a great camera. I got mine for shooting wildlife but it will handle most anything. I kept my D7500 as a very capable backup. I've had mainly excellent experiences purchasing used cameras. I got my D500 from MPB 3 years ago for ~$1,250. The shutter count was less than 4,800.

D'Grump

Hey drummer! Good for you on getting the D500, and kudos for supporting a local business. Enjoy the heck out of it, and I’m sure that you won’t be disappointed!
Andy

bluzman

Ended up biting the bullet on an excellent condition from Robert’s Camera With 23k shutter count. Was about $80 cheaper then comparable on MPB and I like supporting my local camera store as Robert’s is about a hour north of me.
Well done. Enjoy it.