D300 Focus

sokolich

Hi All!
I was wondering if the veterans here could look at my photo and let me know if you think the focus is not sharp. The reason I ask is that I have been shooting pictures for quite a while since my first film camera (Canon AE-1). I have gone from a D40 to D200 and now using a D300. I just don't think the photos on my D300 are as sharp as they should be. I thought that my D200 took better pictures. With that said, I have gone through all of my AF settings, done test shots under A priority, S priority, manual and program.

I have cleaned the lens contacts on the camera and checked all other settings that I can think of mainly the release focus setting. Here is the EXIF data on the uploaded shot:

Nikon D300 (about 15k shutter actuations)
Nikon 50 mm F1.8 lens (almost brand new)
Shot at ISO 200, 1/125, f/3.5 with 0.00 EV on shutter priority, white balance Auto.
Shot RAW
Dimensions 2628 X 3467 @ 300 ppi
Minor adjustments were done in ON1 Photo Raw.
904_-_copy.jpg

Any assistance is appreciated!
I can also upload other images as well.
Thanks!
Scott

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Was this a jpeg or NEF? If it's a jpeg, which Picture Control is your camera set for, and what is the sharpening set for? For example, if it is set for Standard, you can go into that particular Picture Control to where you adjust the amount of Sharpening. I believe it goes from 0-9. Just make sure not to go too high. Otherwise you can wind up with some funky edges - such as a very thin white line between the blue sky and the edge of a building. 5 or 6 should be good. But no matter which Picture Control setting you choose, you DO need to set a Sharpening value for each Picture Control option.

What is yours set for?

sokolich

Hi Hark!
This was a jpeg. My picture control is set to Vivid with sharpening at 0.
Does the picture I posted exhibit a lack of sharpness in your opinion? I will try setting it to 5 for sharpness.
Thanks! Great advice!
Scott

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hi Hark!
This was a jpeg. My picture control is set to Vivid with sharpening at 0.
Does the picture I posted exhibit a lack of sharpness in your opinion? I will try setting it to 5 for sharpness.
Thanks! Great advice!
Scott

Usually the default is something like 2 or 3. Try 5 and see if that helps. You should definitely see an improvement. If you ever switch to shooting NEF, the setting won't affect it.

fotojack

You might also take a look at your eye piece adjuster, to set it to the sharpest view. Also, now that I think of it, you might want to set your camera to BBF for easier focusing. (Back Button Focus). You'll never go back to half pressing your shutter release button! :)