Blank Monitor in manual mode Z8

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Welcome!

I do not have a Z camera so I cannot help you. Someone should be along that may be able to help you.

Please feel free to introduce yourself here - new member

Needa

Challenge Team
Don't have a mirrorless either, but is it possible that it is caused by the view exposure setting. Are the manual setting like shutter speed too high or ISO to low or exposure not open enough to give a image?

Hoff

This problem is evident right from the time the camera is switched on and before any photos have been taken. In other words I can't see thru the viewfinder or see anything in the monitor. Currently I have to compose and set my focus in Aperture mode and then switch to Manual mode to be able to use the flash. As you can imagine a real pain.

BF Hammer

Press the menu button to see if either the viewfinder or touchscreen display that. There is a sensor to detect your face up to the viewfinder, so if that is covered with dirt or debris (or thumb) it will leave the back screen blank.

Needa covered the other stuff. If the settings would leave a dark image, your display will also be dark, except I would expect the basic information to be displayed.

Hoff

Thank you both for your replies. The viewfinder is ok when the menu button is pressed. It also works ok with all the other photographic modes eg aperture priority etc. If the sensor was dirty I would presume the viewfinder and screen would remain blank for all the modes. The manual mode settings are 1/200th sec, F16, iso 200. You are right the basic info is still being displayed.

Clovishound

You mentioned using the flash. Does it work properly when you are not using the flash, and adjusting the exposure to the correct exposure for available light? If so, the issue may be the flash. There could be a problem with the communication between the flash and the camera. If the camera doesn't recognize the flash, you can get a blank image on the screen or viewfinder. I had that happen on my Z7ii when the flash was not completely inserted into the hotshoe. It had enough connection to fire the flash, but not enough to tell the camera there was a flash connected and on. Make sure the flash is compatible with the camera.

BF Hammer

I believe your camera is behaving as "normal", meaning it is not compensating your display to see the image knowing that a speedlight will be used. Is it a Nikon speedlight or other brand?

I don't use Manual mode with a flash, so I have not tried that on my Z5. But if you did not have a flash installed on the camera, I would expect ISO 200, f/16, 1/200 in a dim room to look black in the viewfinder. I thought there was a setting for fixing this in the setup menu, but it would take some time for me to research (which I don't really have tonight) this when you could try doing that yourself.