Auto focus question

Jackofalltrades

I have a D3300 that has very little use and just bought a new Nikon 200-500 mm 5.6 e ed Vr lens for it. It is not real quick at auto focus and misses more than I wished. Is this a problem more of an older camera or the lens?

Needa

Challenge Team
Jack
Welcome!

Camera or lens? First off you are shooting a entry level camera that came out 10 years ago, so the AF is not as good a say a D500. I don’t know your long lens or skill level. You say it misses more than you like, have you analyzed the photos to determine the cause is it motion blur or is there some other area in focus? There are many causes for out of focus pictures. Maybe post some of the misses and someone may be able to help you.
To speed up acquisition time you can try prefocusing and use of the limit switch.

Clovishound

I have that very lens. I currently use it with a newer mirrorless, the Z7ii using the FTZ adapter. I have used it a few times with an older D3400. I have no idea how much different the AF is between the D3300 and the D3400.

It is an excellent lens for the money. Mine is very sharp. It isn't as sharp as a prime 500mm, but then it isn't the price of a used car.

Auto focus isn't anywhere nearly as quick or accurate as my shorter Z lenses. I'm sure much of that is because of the focal length. The elements have to be moved a much longer distance to achieve focus, and those elements are much larger and heavier. I find that I get my best results from using smaller AF area modes. As mentioned before prefocusing makes life much easier. The nice thing about the lens is the ability to manually adjust the focus without putting the camera into manual focus.

The reviews I've read comparing the 200-500 to the newer 180-600 Z lens generally say that the AF is better with the newer lens, but if you already have the 200-500, it probably isn't worth the expense of replacing it with the 180-600.

BF Hammer

@Clovishound The Z180-600mm is not an option here. There is no way to adapt Z to F. Only the other way around.

There are at least a dozen reasons why the AF is missing the mark. The contrast between subject and background, how many AF points the D3300 has (less than other bodies), subject in motion or not...

Jackofalltrades

Thanks for those comments. I am shooting song birds in thick leafed out tree branches right now. I know that is not easy for any lens really but I have everything set to single focus point to try to get on moving birds and avoid leaves. But I am just wondering if something like a D500 or D810 would focus that lens better and quicker than the D3300.

Clovishound

@Clovishound The Z180-600mm is not an option here. There is no way to adapt Z to F. Only the other way around.
I'm aware of that. I was just trying to compare the 200-500 with a similar, but up to date lens. I have seen a number of reviews that compared the performance of the two, and concluded that the 200-500 compares well, although not quite in the same league.

Clovishound

Thanks for those comments. I am shooting song birds in thick leafed out tree branches right now. I know that is not easy for any lens really but I have everything set to single focus point to try to get on moving birds and avoid leaves. But I am just wondering if something like a D500 or D810 would focus that lens better and quicker than the D3300.
The D500 has been one of the go to bodies for wildlife. It has the advantage of being a crop frame, and thus your 200-500 will effectively be a 300-750mm lens. The down side is that it is now out of production, and has a 20 MP. Neither of those should be a deal breaker, as lots of folks take some very stunning images with their D500. You would have to buy a used one, though. MPB currently has several in stock for a tad over a$1000.

The D810 is a full frame camera, so your 200-500 will only be 200-500. On the up side it has a 36MP sensor, so you will be able to crop a lot more without losing too much detail. Only the D810a bodies are available new, and they are pricey, unless you want a grey market purchase for about $2200. Used, the D810 runs in the mid $800s. If you are looking for new, the D850 is currently on sale for $2200 new. This is an extremely capable camera with a 45.7 MP sensor. I currently shoot with the 200-500 on a full frame 45.7 MP sensor camera and am amazed at how much I can crop and still have a usable image.

Shooting birds in foliage is tricky. Manual focus tweaking is the best way I have found to get a good sharp image under these conditions. Perhaps one of the newer high end Z8s or Z9s does a good job of following birds in focus, but they are rather out of my price range.

BF Hammer

A D500 or D810 for sure will improve the AF experience, but unknown if they would be better to the point where it justifies the extra cost.

On Friday I was at the Madison Audubon Goose Pond and there were just some blackbirds out to chase. My 70-200mm f/2.8G VR was having a rough time keeping focus with the tall grass the blackbirds favor. The birds were lost in shadow frequently. I had AF-C on for my Z5 and was in the mode where I put a center target on the subject and the camera should see it and track all over the viewfinder. Tracking kept wandering off the birds unless the red patch on a wing was there to see. It's just hard to say how much field conditions are affecting the result, or is it the gear, or the photographer?