Antarctica Landscape Photography

Rcurwin

I have a trip planned for later this year and I am looking for resources to learn techniques and tips for photographing snowscapes.
TIA

Needa

Challenge Team
From what I have read the two big things are don't blow the highlights and don't believe your meter. If you blow the highlights you will have no detail in the snow and if you believe the meter it will try to make your snow gray.

The other consideration is condensation, the method I used was to place the camera in a bag and place it were it would be able to acclimate to the outside temperature, then the reverse place it in a bag before returning it to room temperature. I did get some condensation on the bag when returning it to room temp. Also keeping any spare batteries warm when out is recommended.

As no one has responded having experience just do an internet search for photographing snow. Looking forward to seeing the pictures

Patrick M

I went two years ago. Then I used a D7500 with the 200-500 attached and a monopod with a wimberley monogimbel (see Steve Perry’s video ) was a must with that heavy lens.
A filter on the front lets you wipe off any sea spray without worry about your front element.
A dry bag if you’re using zodiacs - just in case.
Used the same dry bag inside and outside to acclimatise the camera+lens - never once had any condensation.
On a bright day, underexpose to save the shadows. You can fix later in pp.

Rcurwin

I went two years ago. Then I used a D7500 with the 200-500 attached and a monopod with a wimberley monogimbel (see Steve Perry’s video ) was a must with that heavy lens.
A filter on the front lets you wipe off any sea spray without worry about your front element.
A dry bag if you’re using zodiacs - just in case.
Used the same dry bag inside and outside to acclimatise the camera+lens - never once had any condensation.
On a bright day, underexpose to save the shadows. You can fix later in pp.
Thank you for sharing your experience and recommendations, especially the Monogimbel!