An 'Ethics' Question

Whiskeyman

... But I also wonder how many people who got the same offer from a clerk browsing Flickr took it with no questions asked?

I'm sure there are many.

To me, there are some publications that would be worth giving up some rights to an image to have them feature your work. Nat Geo, Life, etc. would be on that list, but I have no worries about ever getting published in either.

So far, my only commercial success has been in the photo note card business for my mother. And she always got the product for free! ;)

WM

PLM

Even though I'm new here and I've never sold an image, or even entered a photo contest, I'd like to offer my two cents. Putting aside the legal questions and viewing this strictly from my own personal perspective, I think that using someone else concept to create a photograph is exceptable. After all, hasn't it been done since the beginning of photography. Someone had to have created the first portrait, the first action shot, the first landscape, the first macro photo, etc. With that being said, the photo that is created from someone else concept should not be a close copy of the original. For me, it's if I feel like it is violating my own personal ethics that matters the most. If I feel it's wrong, then I'm not going to do it.