AF Micro 105mm 2.8 with D5600

Andres10s

Hello,

I am doing some jewelry photography with this 105mm 2.8 AF and wanted to know if the only difference between this lens and the VR version is that the autofocus feature does not work with my D5600. Also the lens must be at f32 or I get an error message on the screen. Any other info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bikerbrent

Welcome aboard Andres10s, enjoy the ride. We look forward to seeing more posts and samples of your work.

You might also want to consider introducing yourself on New Member Introductions.

Someone will be along shortly to help you out.

Needa

Challenge Team
I have both a 60mm and 105mm AF-D. If I have a poor copy of the 105 I don't know but not impressed.

Fred Kingston

I have both the 60mm D and the 105mm VR... I've had no issues... For jewelry macro work, you can pretty much use a block of ice for a lens because everything is pretty static and controlled.

Woodyg3

Contributor
The D5600 does not have a focusing motor, so only lenses that have their own focusing motor will work with it for AF. As far as other differences between macro models, I'd guess they are both high quality lenses with good sharpness. I have no direct personal experience with them, though.

BF Hammer

Hello,

I am doing some jewelry photography with this 105mm 2.8 AF and wanted to know if the only difference between this lens and the VR version is that the autofocus feature does not work with my D5600. Also the lens must be at f32 or I get an error message on the screen. Any other info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The error message is so you leave the aperture ring at f/32 as that is needed so the newer cameras can automatically change aperture. As for autofocus I would say having to use manual focus for macro work is fine as long as you work from a tripod. If you are hand-holding and trying to do this, you really want the newer lens and use autofocus. It's hard enough to hold steady side-side and up-down, add in rocking forward-backward and you have lots of fuzzy shots.

Clovishound

I rarely use autofocus with my Z105 micro lens when I'm taking macro photos hand held. I usually fine tune focus by moving the camera in and out.