A couple of shots of my car

JH Foto

208846d1461783820-couple-shots-my-car-screenshot.325.jpeg
EXIF
N/A
" No They Are not...............????

robstopper

In the first shot, your shutter speed was only 1/100th of a second, which is generally fast enough with a wide angle to reduce motion blur (camera shake), but a faster shutter speed is better. Second pic your shutter speed was 1/1600, which is plenty fast. Faster is sharper. In the first shot, your F stop was 29! That's overkill. A higher number (smaller aperture) does increase the depth of field for focusing, but many argue that going past f8 or f11 will reduce sharpness even though the depth of field increases. Something to do with the light bouncing crazy off the sides of a small aperture having a greater effect. In the second shot, your f stop was 5.6, which you can see did not give you a big enough depth of field to keep the entire car in focus. There is also a sharpness setting in your menu. It's usually set to a balance to make people look good, but if you are shooting cars and things you can increase the sharpness in camera. Go to menu > shooting > picture control. BTW, nice car!
Oh yeh, I do remember using that F stop! A tad large!! I was going from one extreme to the other to see what differences it made, as you've noticed. These were pretty much the first pictures I took with the new camera, so I just dove in and started playing. Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping to put some of it in to practice at the car show on Sunday. And thanks for the compliment on the car, she's not bad for an old girl! :)

Blade Canyon

I am serious ??

Your punctuation still throws me off. Anyway, that's why this is such a good optical illusion because everyone will swear that square A and square B are different shades of gray, but in reality they are both the same exact color and shade. You can prove it to yourself easily enough in a photo editor by cutting out B and sliding it up to A, and here's another proof:

checkerboard.jpg

mental8-5c.png

Blade Canyon

Still not convinced..............:rolleyes:

Lol, have you tried Photoshop? If not, just print it out and fold the paper so A & B are touching. As I said, that's exactly why this is such a great optical illusion.

There is a documentary called Tim's Vermeer. This guy Tim noticed very subtle gradations of light in Vermeer's painting. The human eye and brain would not normally notice that and account for it accurately in painting. Tim concluded that Vermeer must have used a mechanical device to copy the scene, and Tim built such a device and painted his own Vermeer. If you watch the doc, Tim does a good job proving his case.

Sorry for the threadjack, Rob.

robstopper

haha, no problems.

Had a look on the settings on my camera last night, and the default sharpness was indeed set in the lower half of the scale, so I've ramped it right up. I'm off to the Spring Car Show at Duxford on Sunday, so will give things a go there, and post up some of my results.