Search results

  1. S

    Post your Train shots!

    NS's Southern Railway Heritage Unit arrived in Columbia, SC today under overcast skies and as with Friday's N&W unit, the SOU too was trailing. Oh well, it's a better shot than I'd taken in 2018 with it hiding in the trees.
  2. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Several hours later, NS 192 arrived, but the N&W unit was trailing.
  3. S

    Post your Train shots!

    In a moment of serendipity while hoping to catch NS's N&W Heritage Unit, I heard the CSX Dispatcher mention that Amtrak was near. Seeing Amtrak in daylight is a mighty rare occurrence in Columbia, SC, so I hotfooted it over to the station to see what was up. The southbound Silver Star had hit...
  4. S

    Post your Train shots!

    A few years ago I found a vintage Southern Railway signal bridge and signals standing on the mainline in Lowell, NC, but wasn't able to catch any trains passing beneath it. I stopped by today for the first time since and was thrilled that it's still in service. I had better luck with trains today.
  5. S

    Nikon - A Jeopardy TV Game Show Answer

    Under the heading of 'Business Names', this question was asked a few nights ago on TV's Jeopardy game show: If photographic memory serves me this company's name was derived from Nippon Kogaku meaning Japanese Optical Surprisingly, none of the contestants attempted an answer. I shouted...
  6. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Out of the wayback machine comes an old snapshot from the mid-1980s taken in Montgomery, AL of Seaboard System GE U-30C 1553, ex-L&N. It became CSX 7247 and is long off the roster. I don't know what became of it.
  7. S

    Post your Train shots!

    They're both beautiful. I prefer a bit less roadbed and more sky in my shots, perhaps something like I edited below. (I hope that it was okay for me to use your photo to illustrate.)
  8. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Thank you. I wanted to get the old Southern Railway station sign in the shot, so had to stand along the shoulder of the highway which was a bit worrisome. I staked out the spot, figured out my settings and stood in a safe place until train time. Here's a close up of the sign, battered and...
  9. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Taken Sunday afternoon, NS 192 cants into a curve at Simpson, SC and advances north at track speed.
  10. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Thank you. I was fortunate to have made a wrong turn in town, as this time I arrived on the sunny side of the train. It was a bit backlit, but not too badly. I have yet to see the CNJ, CR, Monongahela, NYC, NKP and NS.
  11. S

    Post your Train shots!

    I was blessed this day with another chance at capturing NS's Wabash "Heritage Unit". Unlike last week, this time she was leading the train and I hit paydirt. A fine looking locomotive from any angle. Yay!
  12. S

    Post your Train shots!

    One more of NS local train P85 near Blythewood, SC. The 7118 is a GP-60, built 09/1991.
  13. S

    Post your Train shots!

    With its work done, NS local P85 is homeward bound at Talcott, SC.
  14. S

    Post your Train shots!

    As seen today, NS 191 made a stop at Monetta, SC while grain train 52D (to the right) worked the grain mill. The 52D had NS's Wabash unit in its consist, but it was trailing and I couldn't get a good picture of it.
  15. S

    Post your favorite April shot 2019

    On the last day of April, CSX rolls above the Congaree River in South Carolina:
  16. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Taken yesterday, CSX F765 crosses the Congaree River at Cayce, SC, Those woodchip hoppers are headed to a paper mill in North Charleston, SC. The bridge behind belongs to NS and carries their mainline between Columbia, SC and Augusta, GA.
  17. S

    Your Best D5100 Photos

    From yesterday near a hydroelectric plant:
  18. S

    Post your fishing photos

    "Hey, get dat Nikon out of my face!"
  19. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Stopped in Spartanburg, SC today and found my way to Mangnolia Interlocking. With the wisteria in bloom, a shot was to be had. This is NS Train 213.
  20. S

    Post your Train shots!

    Just for the fun of it, I found my old Sawyer's Pana-Vue slide viewer and took a handheld D5100 photo of a slide displayed in its 3-1/2" x 3-1/2" window. I was surprised with the result as seen below, though anything larger isn't very sharp. Rio Puerco, NM - 06/08/1997 -- Nikon N2020...
Top