Post your Portrait shots!

dh photography

DSC_0600.jpg

~ Mackenzie ~

spb_stan

Yet another casual shot, this time Nastia and I were in a busy restaurant and naturally with a single flash 85mm, 1f/1.8, 1/500, ISO 100, off shoe SB900, D800. The restaurant was bright so I increased shutter and lowered ISO so the flash was in FP mode with more fall off, off camera to camera left

znastia-95422.jpg

spb_stan

Out with the camera and visited two neighborhood bars, one was closed for a party but I was invited in because I sort of have a rep for having a camera with me often and it was an all-girl birthday party. It was very crowded and a good dj had the small dance floor packed but I still got a few decent unobstructed shots. Being a photog is better than being a rock star sometimes, my pockets were full of slips of paper with emails, FB and phone numbers when I checked this morning. Unfortunately, have no idea of which numbers belong to which girl. I get invited to a lot of girl parties or nights out because they want photos and must say, the mood and level of fun is higher when there are no, or very few, guys.
Here are a few. The first 2 shots are of a girl who had done modeling and was interested in updating her lookbook. She wore too much makeup but close up I could see freckles under the foundation. I told her she would be more versatile for ads or commercial assignments with her freckles showing, they are very "in" again. She had a great figure, tall slim and walked like a runway model. The 3rd image is of a photographer who does weddings and the 4th image was a shy girl who was very pleased when she saw the back of the camera and commented she looked better than she thought. That one was talk outdoors in a patio at 3am.
All taken with D800 with SB-900 off camera, using 85 at 1.8 for the 3rd and 4th, 70-200 2.8 at f/5 on the first and second photos. I used higher than desired ISO to better balance the ambient and flash on the first two. I keep drooling over a D850, a local store has 4 on the shelf but when I see the images this old lowly D800 creates I come back to earth and realize I really do not need a new camera with even larger files, but the AF would be helpful

sat-2.jpg
sat-1.jpg
sat-5.jpg
sat-6.jpg

Last edited:

spb_stan

I walked about 15 miles around the city Saturday and found many festivals and events from dog shows to beauty pageants to a biker convention and restored older buses, trams, and 30s-70s Soviet cars. Beautiful day for cityscapes shots and architecture, sailing etc. At the old car event on the grounds of a palace, a young couple asked me to take their photo with their camera, a D7200. I did but the light was backlit and harsh. So I suggested that was why I was walking around with a 70-200 2.8 and flash on a bright sunny day. While he tried more shots of his girl I stepped by and cranked in some flash comp. Here is the first one of the girl posing next to a 67 Moscow car. This morning got a nice letter from them asking if I would do a photo session for her, Yeah, it would be fun, she was very expressive and outgoing with an infectious smile, a good-looking young couple who just graduate from the university next month. They graduate at 20 years old here. Very few young people don't go to college, and almost none crop out.

1500DSC_2168.jpg

spb_stan

Here is one I took of a young couple who asked me to take their photo with their phone which I did after telling them the harsh direct sun would make their eyes very dark and under expose them because the background was brighter than they were. Sure enough, their faces were too dark to recognize them. I offered to step back with my D800 and 70-200, and direct flash to try to brighten their eyes. Manual mode, 1/2000, F/4.0 ISO 200 and flash to manual full dump set to 200mm focusing to get a narrow beam. Considering how black their faces were, I was surprised the SB900 could add enough light. All 3 shots turned out really nice. They thanked me on Whatsapp 3 times today and wanted a real session for the girl. A really nice young Russian couple in the park near the new football stadium used for the Worldcup starting last night. She is really vivacious and beautiful.

stadium-1.jpg

Later I went to a small pub to watch the first game, Russia versus KSA (Russia won 5-0) and met a nice woman in her mid-40s and took her photo also. Single flash, 1/160, 200mm f/2.8 70-200 VR

olgaV-1.jpg