Sigma/N 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM

Ironwood

I'm shooting it on a D300. If you get a centered copy, then it should do fine, even on the higher-density sensor of the D7100. But, for version 1 of this lens, I'm afraid decentered copies may out-number centered ones. Sigma has come a long way since this lens.

I'm seen nice shots with the 11-16 on Fx, though I think only 15 & 16mm work well enough to use. I opted for the 12-24 because I wanted to use it on Dx & Fx so I understand you.

You could buy 1 from Keh, and if you do not like it get your money back. I saw one over there for $375. But make sure you test it, carefully, for decentering before you keep it.

I'll post a few samples a little later.

JT

Thanks for the tip on decentering on the early lenses JT, I will definitely keep that in mind if looking to buy.

Look forward to seeing your photos.

moony16

12-24 Sigma w D300
@ 12mm
DSC_2158a.jpg
@ 15mm
DSC_1952a1.jpg
@ 12mm
DSC_1914a1.jpg
@ 12mm
DSC_1959a.jpg
@ 15mm
DSC_1906a.jpg
@24mm
DSC_2167a1.jpg

Ironwood

Some nice shots there JT.

You said a while back that this lens had very little distortion on DX, did you have to correct those shots much ?

Do you also use this lens on a FX camera ?

moony16

Some nice shots there JT.

You said a while back that this lens had very little distortion on DX, did you have to correct those shots much ?

Do you also use this lens on a FX camera ?

Brad, thank you. Yes, believe it or not, the Sigma 12-24 has less barrel & pincushion distortion than the holy “Trinitarian” Nikon 14-24, although the latter isn’t too shabby either.

There are Geometric & Perspective distortions which are of particular concern to the UWA shooter. Geometric are distortions caused by the lens itself, while Perspective are caused by the AOV as well as not having the sensor plane parallel to the vertical subject.

Except with lenses with extreme barrel distortion, perspective distortion is the real problem in UWA shooting. In particular, the phenomenon of converging verticals can plague UWA compositions when the camera is not held level while depressing the shutter.

I did apply minor corrections to some of the shots above in order to correct perspective distortions. But they were minor, & if these shots were juxtaposed with the unadjusted shots, only subtle nuances would be seen, & that mainly because an adjusted image needs to be trimmed (cropped a little) in order to clean up the effects of perspective adjustments to pictures.

Yes, I sometimes shoot the 12-24 on my Fx body too.

JT

Ironwood

JT, thanks for the detailed explanation.
I should have said it was the geometrical distortion that I was inquiring about in my last post.
I will weigh up my options before I decide which way I will go.
Lately I have been thinking I really want the best image quality, so if I buy a 2ndhand Tokina 11-16 I could sell it again for not much loss if and when I go to FX . Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:.

moony16

JT, thanks for the detailed explanation.
I should have said it was the geometrical distortion that I was inquiring about in my last post.
I will weigh up my options before I decide which way I will go.
Lately I have been thinking I really want the best image quality, so if I buy a 2ndhand Tokina 11-16 I could sell it again for not much loss if and when I go to FX . Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:.

Brad:
I've answered so many threads that I try to be thorough, to prevent misunderstandings--learned from my mistakes (hopefully). Many people will read these things, so I try to assume minimial knowledge base, knowing full well new people are part of the audience.

Yep, you can't lose with the Tokina--great glass. Looking forward to seeing your shots someday. Best
JT