"Active" key on Nikon 70-300mm lens

SJD

Hi,

Can someone really let me know what the purpose of "Active" key on my new Nikkor 70-300mm IF VR ED ?

From what i read, it says to put it on when i take pictures from a moving Vehicle like situations. What does it do actually ?

And why not I keep it "Active" all the time ?

BackdoorArts

Normal VR is used for when you are holding steady on an unmoving subject. "Active" is meant for stabilizing as you are panning to cover a moving subject. I've rarely used it, but that's what the manual states. I believe it covers vertical stabilizing as you pan horizontally.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
From Nikon's web site:

Nikon’s VR System offers Normal mode and Active mode, original technologies to help you cover various shooting situations. In Normal mode, slow and wide camera movement is regarded as recomposing movement and VR operation is controlled accordingly. In Active mode, however, even large amounts of camera movement are compensated for to give a smooth viewfinder image. This mode is quite useful when shooting from a moving vehicle or some other unstable position.

If you are riding on a boat, it sounds like this would be an ideal scenario to use it.

In Active mode, however, even large amounts of camera movement are compensated for to give a smooth viewfinder image.

And from the sounds of it, if you've had a few too many, it might also work well. ;)

WhiteLight

VR on/ off is self explanatory.
You don't want to use VR on a tripod.

Active on/ off needs to be used when YOU are moving rather than just hand shake due to slow shutter speeds.
Like if you are in a moving vehicle or a boat and things like that, you would need active on

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
The other day after reading Nikon's comment even large amounts of camera movement are compensated for to give a smooth viewfinder image, I decided to give the active VR setting a try. I have chronic tendonitis in both forearms (with surgery on one) and quite often when I use the normal VR setting, I still wind up with a little motion blur. Yes, I raise my ISO to ensure a faster shutter speed, too, but I've had lack luster results with the normal VR. Here is a photo shot with the active VR. Granted, I wouldn't suggest this for everyone, but with my physical limitations, this is HUGE! Plus this photo was cropped A LOT from the original image. Some post sharpening was done, but even the out of camera results were MUCH better than when I use the normal VR.

I'm glad you posted the question because it's the reason I decided to give it a try! ;)

028 resize.jpg