Post your flower pics

gusflores

DSC_0396.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Got this flower shot while waiting for the moonrise today. I only had my D7000 with the 300 and 1.4 TC. And it was getting dark, but since the camera was on a tripod and I was using the mirror up mode, I took this shot even if it was windy. Shutter speed was 1/6s at f8 iso 250. The flowers are blurred, but there is some kind of softness and mood to the shot that I like. I hope you do too.

MCC_4264.jpg

Bob Blaylock

There are any number of posts in this thread that I could have picked for this brief botany lesson; but this seems like a good one.

Most people would look at this, and think they are seeing a single flower. This one hints at the truth. You can see, within it, a few structures, that themselves appear to be flowers.

In fact, this structure, that superficially resembles a flower, is actually a cluster of very many flowers. It is called a pseudanthium. Some of the center flowers have bloomed out to a point where their individual nature is fairly obvious; this doesn't necessarily happen with all, or even most pseudanthia, but it is happening here. In many (perhaps most) pseudanthia, the center flowers, if present, remain small and inconspicuous, such that you would have to examine them very closely to see that they are individual flowers. Each of the structures around the edge, which you want to think is a “petal”, is actually also an individual flower.

RockyNH_RIP

Got this flower shot while waiting for the moonrise today. I only had my D7000 with the 300 and 1.4 TC. And it was getting dark, but since the camera was on a tripod and I was using the mirror up mode, I took this shot even if it was windy. Shutter speed was 1/6s at f8 iso 250. The flowers are blurred, but there is some kind of softness and mood to the shot that I like. I hope you do too.

View attachment 53034

I really like this shot Marcel... Thank you for sharing!