People You Meet

White Canvas

Last night I met a gentleman while trying to take a landscape picture in my local park, over looking the shore. Loudly from a distance he approached me and forcefully suggested i take his picture, as I would never get a picture of an Irishman like him. After our long conversation I believe that might be true. Anyway, how could I refuse such a character! So I swung the camera around on the tripod and quickly fulfilled his request. There was no time for composition or even to consider focus. Just capture the moment, hope everyone is happy and pray that would be the end of it.

However, during the evening various people came over to me to ask what I was looking at or what was it i saw. It was my first outdoor opportunity to use my Manfrotto tripod, and it would seems from last nights experience, a camera on a tripod convinces everyone you are a professional, even when all you hoped for was a quiet night to know your hobby better.

Here is the image taken of this unusual character - http://flic.kr/p/fcpCDh

Anyone else have similar stories of attracting unwanted attention or meeting interesting people simply because you are using a tripod?

http://whitecanvasimages.wordpress.com/

slowpoke

Hi,WC.If I may suggest,First stay out of those places.Second stay away from those people.Dangerous,very dangerous.lol I find it here in Halifax all the time.You get to meet all kinds of interesting people.Keep using the tripod and have fun.

wud

I love that picture! A little disturbing with the cars, they dont seem to fit in this image. But what to do, sometimes your surroundings are what they are.

Have tried this, yes. Mostly some years ago, where simply using a DSLR made people think I was a pro - doesnt really happen anymore. And last year, I made a friend on top of a hill:

I wanted to get a sunrise, somehow I thought my exposure would be very, very low, so I packed 2 dogs, tripod, my computer + cables (didn't have a shutter release) and set the whole thing up at the hill. Then it started to rain, lol. When this guy came, my dogs were annoyed being tied to a big log, I made the place look like my personal office and I was standing in the rain covering my computer and camera with my jacket, desperately trying to get this image. He couldn't really help himself laughing, lol. Me neither, and no, I didnt get a good picture.

White Canvas

Hi,WC.If I may suggest,First stay out of those places.Second stay away from those people.Dangerous,very dangerous.lol I find it here in Halifax all the time.You get to meet all kinds of interesting people.Keep using the tripod and have fun.

The thing is, it's a nice area where lots of families take there children to play or walk dogs. I've never had so much attention just because I was using a tripod. Strange experience. I thought I would never get away from this gentleman in particular, but even regular people would stop to ask me questions. I found it very odd. Thanks for the advice I'm enjoying the tripod despite the attraction. :)

White Canvas

I love that picture! A little disturbing with the cars, they dont seem to fit in this image. But what to do, sometimes your surroundings are what they are.

Have tried this, yes. Mostly some years ago, where simply using a DSLR made people think I was a pro - doesnt really happen anymore. And last year, I made a friend on top of a hill:

I wanted to get a sunrise, somehow I thought my exposure would be very, very low, so I packed 2 dogs, tripod, my computer + cables (didn't have a shutter release) and set the whole thing up at the hill. Then it started to rain, lol. When this guy came, my dogs were annoyed being tied to a big log, I made the place look like my personal office and I was standing in the rain covering my computer and camera with my jacket, desperately trying to get this image. He couldn't really help himself laughing, lol. Me neither, and no, I didnt get a good picture.

Lol that is a fantastic story. Really made me laugh. I could just imagine the scene.

AC016

Well, I never had anyone come up to me and ask I take their picture with my camera, but I always get people asking me to take their picture with their camera.
When I was in Hong Kong Disney, I was siting down with my daughter and taking a rest from all the walking we were doing. A couple of times, people came up to me and asked if they could take a picture of us! Trying to get my bearings after a long flight, I really did not think much of it and said, "sure!". Till this day, I have no idea what was so appealing about us sitting there on a bench. Perhaps somewhere deep in China, we are the faces of some cheap plastic product, lol.

White Canvas

Well, I never had anyone come up to me and ask I take their picture with my camera, but I always get people asking me to take their picture with their camera.
When I was in Hong Kong Disney, I was siting down with my daughter and taking a rest from all the walking we were doing. A couple of times, people came up to me and asked if they could take a picture of us! Trying to get my bearings after a long flight, I really did not think much of it and said, "sure!". Till this day, I have no idea what was so appealing about us sitting there on a bench. Perhaps somewhere deep in China, we are the faces of some cheap plastic product, lol.

Another great moment of interaction with stranger over taking photos. Perhaps you just looked like you'd know how to use a camera. ;)

wud

Yesterday while taking pictures of a 5 months old in a crowded park, I was waiting while the kid got something to eat and this really happy guy came and asked if he could see my lens (70-200mm) cause it looked SO amazing. Of course he could, and I gave him the camera so he could see through the viewfinder himself.

He was all "wooooow" lol. We got to talk and he convinced me to go look at his Canon, he was very new to photography and hadn't figured out how and what could be done yet.

So I ended up showing him how to lock your focus (so you could re-composite but maintain focus on your subject), tested his 50mm 1.8 to see if focus worked (he asked, is it me or is it the lens - of course I replied, ITS YOU! haha), and then I showed how to blur out backgrounds and explained 2 of the million ways to use aperture 1.8... I only stopped because the baby was done eating, seriously, this is one of the happiest and most enthusiastic guys I've meet for a LONG time!

He was so happy when I left, and so was I. Still smiling, actually.

Oh and so much fun, he showed me a picture he took of his girlfriend, and I couldnt help myself laughing, she was laying down on the side and he well, he more or less just took a picture of her arse! It filled half the picture... Honey, do my ass look big in this pic? YES!

Epoc

When I'm using my Nikkor 8mm fisheye (lens in my avatar) in public, I have a constant stream of other togs asking what it is and what I use it for. It's a great conversation starter. :)

White Canvas

Yesterday while taking pictures of a 5 months old in a crowded park, I was waiting while the kid got something to eat and this really happy guy came and asked if he could see my lens (70-200mm) cause it looked SO amazing. Of course he could, and I gave him the camera so he could see through the viewfinder himself.

He was all "wooooow" lol. We got to talk and he convinced me to go look at his Canon, he was very new to photography and hadn't figured out how and what could be done yet.

So I ended up showing him how to lock your focus (so you could re-composite but maintain focus on your subject), tested his 50mm 1.8 to see if focus worked (he asked, is it me or is it the lens - of course I replied, ITS YOU! haha), and then I showed how to blur out backgrounds and explained 2 of the million ways to use aperture 1.8... I only stopped because the baby was done eating, seriously, this is one of the happiest and most enthusiastic guys I've meet for a LONG time!

He was so happy when I left, and so was I. Still smiling, actually.

Oh and so much fun, he showed me a picture he took of his girlfriend, and I couldnt help myself laughing, she was laying down on the side and he well, he more or less just took a picture of her arse! It filled half the picture... Honey, do my ass look big in this pic? YES!

It's nice that you were able to help this fellow photographer and be relational. In our world very few people talk to each other anymore. I find your story very encouraging and up lifting. Thank for sharing it.

White Canvas

When I'm using my Nikkor 8mm fisheye (lens in my avatar) in public, I have a constant stream of other togs asking what it is and what I use it for. It's a great conversation starter. :)

Sounds like you too could be training people in photography. As they say, it's good to talk.

Sandpatch

... Anyone else have similar stories of attracting unwanted attention or meeting interesting people simply because you are using a tripod? ...

I've spent nearly 40 years taking train pictures as a hobby and as slowpoke suggested, I try to stay away from public places if possible because people do intrude. Most often they're well meaning, but some seem to suffer from verbal dysentery and make it impossible to set up a shot. My wife has learned to run interference for me, talking to passers by who stop to chat while I concentrate on my photography.

Several years ago I had a rare daylight opportunity to photograph Amtrak in my area and at a public crossing two women in a car were shouting at me as I stood at the ready with my camera, viewfinder to my eye. I thought I was somehow at risk, so looked around and all seemed well. My shot suffered because of the interruption and as the train passed I walked to their car only to learn that they were lost and needed directions! :mad: Could they not see that I was taking a picture?

White Canvas

I've spent nearly 40 years taking train pictures as a hobby and as slowpoke suggested, I try to stay away from public places if possible because people do intrude. Most often they're well meaning, but some seem to suffer from verbal dysentery and make it impossible to set up a shot. My wife has learned to run interference for me, talking to passers by who stop to chat while I concentrate on my photography.

Several years ago I had a rare daylight opportunity to photograph Amtrak in my area and at a public crossing two women in a car were shouting at me as I stood at the ready with my camera, viewfinder to my eye. I thought I was somehow at risk, so looked around and all seemed well. My shot suffered because of the interruption and as the train passed I walked to their car only to learn that they were lost and needed directions! :mad: Could they not see that I was taking a picture?

"Could they not see that I was taking a picture?"
I guess that's the main problem, certainly it was for me, but if you want the image it hard not to enter the public space. On that evening the place was empty of people, but suddenly they appeared from everywhere, including that gentleman wanting his photo taken. I've put it down to experience and accepted it must be part of getting the shot you want.

However, missing that shot would have really annoyed me. As you say it was obvious you where taking a photo and needed your own space. Thank for sharing your Amtrak story.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
...it would seem from last nights experience, a camera on a tripod convinces everyone you are a professional, even when all you hoped for was a quiet night to know your hobby better.

Anyone else have similar stories of attracting unwanted attention or meeting interesting people simply because you are using a tripod?

A couple decades ago, I was using a Minolta manual focus camera mounted on a tripod and was taking photos of boats on the river. I was having a lot of fun because the boats were pretty close to my side of the river when suddenly one of the people sitting nearby spoke up and asked me to hang around for a while. The man said the boaters usually hugged the other side of the river but must have been coming closer to our side because I was using a tripod while panning. This was taken with a Minolta XG-M but I don't have any other info on the photo.

panning.jpg

Many times strangers comment by asking if I'm from the local newspaper. With today's lens capabilities of VR, many photographers don't bother carrying a tripod with them. Those who do tend to know its benefits despite the pain of having to carry it around.

Another time a couple decades ago while taking photos at Sandy Hook, NJ, two guys were learning to use catamarans. I asked if I could photograph them because I was new to photography and offered to send them the pics. One of the guys originally came to the US from Poland and in broken English acknowledged wanting the photos. It was really difficult because I was using ISO 100--hence a very slow shutter speed--and the guys were barely able to maintain their balance. I sent the photos to the Polish man who was living in northern New Jersey, and many months went by with no response. Suddenly one day I received a letter--the guy apologized for not getting back to me sooner, but he went back home to Poland and took the photos to show his family. Apparently they didn't have this type of thing over there so he said he was really proud to be able to show them what he was learning!

Here is one of the photos--it certainly isn't the best and wish I hadn't cut off the top of the sail. There isn't any EXIF since it is film. I do remember it being taken with a Nikon N90s and a Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 (not a super sharp lens in comparison to a Nikon lens), and tripod mounted. Perhaps a circular polarizer although I'm not sure.

Sandy Hook catamaran.jpg

And recently while taking photos during the time when a local fair was closed, I was asked if I was a newspaper photographer. I laughed, and my expression looked something like this:

Clown.jpg

;)

White Canvas

A couple decades ago, I was using a Minolta manual focus camera mounted on a tripod and was taking photos of boats on the river. I was having a lot of fun because the boats were pretty close to my side of the river when suddenly one of the people sitting nearby spoke up and asked me to hang around for a while. The man said the boaters usually hugged the other side of the river but must have been coming closer to our side because I was using a tripod while panning. This was taken with a Minolta XG-M but I don't have any other info on the photo.

View attachment 44608

Many times strangers comment by asking if I'm from the local newspaper. With today's lens capabilities of VR, many photographers don't bother carrying a tripod with them. Those who do tend to know its benefits despite the pain of having to carry it around.

Another time a couple decades ago while taking photos at Sandy Hook, NJ, two guys were learning to use catamarans. I asked if I could photograph them because I was new to photography and offered to send them the pics. One of the guys originally came to the US from Poland and in broken English acknowledged wanting the photos. It was really difficult because I was using ISO 100--hence a very slow shutter speed--and the guys were barely able to maintain their balance. I sent the photos to the Polish man who was living in northern New Jersey, and many months went by with no response. Suddenly one day I received a letter--the guy apologized for not getting back to me sooner, but he went back home to Poland and took the photos to show his family. Apparently they didn't have this type of thing over there so he said he was really proud to be able to show them what he was learning!

Here is one of the photos--it certainly isn't the best and wish I hadn't cut off the top of the sail. There isn't any EXIF since it is film. I do remember it being taken with a Nikon N90s and a Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 (not a super sharp lens in comparison to a Nikon lens), and tripod mounted. Perhaps a circular polarizer although I'm not sure.

View attachment 44607

And recently while taking photos during the time when a local fair was closed, I was asked if I was a newspaper photographer. I laughed, and my expression looked something like this:

View attachment 44609

;)

Brilliant set of stories. Especially the polish man and him sharing them with his family back in Poland.

Wow I'm enjoying this conversation about our experience of taking pictures in the public space. Thank you for sharing here.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Contributor
Brilliant set of stories. Especially the polish man and him sharing them with his family back in Poland.

Wow I'm enjoying this conversation about our experience of taking pictures in the public space. Thank you for sharing here.

Thanks. These days a tripod is more of a necessity for me than a luxury. I started learning photography back in the mid-to-late 90s using a tripod as standard photo equipment (before I ever had any VR lenses). Then I suffered a debilitating arm injury. While using a weed whacker, I reinjured my right arm and wound up with a never-ending case of tennis elbow. My left arm had to do extra work which caused tennis elbow in it, too, so both arms were painful. As a crutch, I used tennis elbow support straps and must have pulled them too tight resulting in blood loss to the affected area. :eek:

After having surgery on one elbow, I couldn't even hold a pen, spoon, or toothbrush with that arm. I was out of photography for many years and will never regain strength in either arm. Since I know the importance of fast glass, my equipment tends to be weighty so whenever possible, I use a waist pack for carrying limited gear and a tripod with a shoulder strap attached. I'm definitely not the best with VR because my arms are weak and not always able to hold the camera steady. Plus I'm a female--it's difficult to keep up with you strong, manly types carrying so much gear! :D I've barely been back into photography for the past year, and there is a lot to remember--plus I only made the switch to digital last year so there's even more to learn!

Just be aware there are some locations that won't allow the use of a tripod. Certain train stations is one place that comes to mind because a tripod can create a tripping hazard. I'm sure there are others. Hopefully some of the others can clue you in to those locations. :)

Whiskeyman

I remember a story from a professional years ago. In addition to his "Pro gear", he always carried a Polaroid instant film camera in his travels around the world. He would take photos with the Polaroid and give the photo to the subject(s), many who had never received or seen a photographic image of themselves. As the instant photo developed, he would take photos of the subject's reactions. The results were always fantastic: revelations of pure joy!

WM

wud

It's nice that you were able to help this fellow photographer and be relational. In our world very few people talk to each other anymore. I find your story very encouraging and up lifting. Thank for sharing it.

Dont think anyone could say no to that happy face :) But I agree, people are often just cranky or living in a bubble.

--

I almost asked a guy with a tripod yesterday, cause on his tripod, was a very small digital camera - I thought that was a bit funny, as I was carrying my D3 and didnt have a tripod.

White Canvas

I remember a story from a professional years ago. In addition to his "Pro gear", he always carried a Polaroid instant film camera in his travels around the world. He would take photos with the Polaroid and give the photo to the subject(s), many who had never received or seen a photographic image of themselves. As the instant photo developed, he would take photos of the subject's reactions. The results were always fantastic: revelations of pure joy!

WM

That's a clever idea. Give someone the image and then capture their expression. "Pure Joy" would make a great title for the project. Thanks for sharing this brilliant story I sure a few of us might be tempted to try it out.

RogerThat99

I take mostly pictures of boating events...and women always want their picture taken as they pose. Guys that own boats always want pictures taken of their boats with women on them. It can be bothersome, but I usually oblige. :victorious::victorious: