Post Your Landscape Photos

TedG954

Thanks. They're taken from the banks of the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland. The area is known as Ohio City and Tremont. An old area of the city that is being taken over by the young up and coming professionals and hipsters. It's really a very neat area. I'm posting a pic of the house I'd like to own in Ohio City (if I was 40 years younger) on my 365 thread.

Last edited:
This evening just before sunset. I was stuck in traffic waiting for a drawbridge to close, when I looked to my right and saw
1039546_667648879919323_566980360_o_zpsc5389318.jpg
So I picked up my sisters D40 and took this one with my 18-105mm lens attached.

Kodiak

re: #329

Hello Steve,

Of your three posts, the last one reaches me. Not because the shot is better but
the rendition is more natural, although all show a good eye for composition.

This is a difficulty and it is not always easy to master: "when to stop pp, when enough
is enough!"

Have a good day…

Kodiak

re: #330

Hi Dan,

Spectacular scenes! Cool Composition!

I do not know your workflow nor your RAW converter but if your could better control
the brighter keys… you would have jewels in your hand!

Have a good day…

bechdan

It about F10 using a circular polariser, it wasnt intentionally soft, its just the way it worked out shooting in to particularly bright sunlight. My 18-105mm takes fairly soft photos anyway, although Im sure I could do better.
Thanks for the comment regarding brightness control, I will certainly look in to it further for my continued learning, but I did struggle not only to get the settings right but to process the image afterwards just because of how bright the sun was (converted with nikon Nx edited with corel paint shop pro x5). A ND graduated filter would have been handy but I dont have one for that lens unfortunately.

Kodiak - any advice on controlling brighter keys (Im not certain what that means anyway :))

Last edited:

Kodiak

re: #334

any advice on controlling brighter keys (Im not certain what that means…)

Hi Dan,

Here for the difference between high and low keys:

Good high key example: http://nikonites.com/photo-critique/15119-famiy-portraits-beach.html#axzz2a3QCE7jv

Good low key example: http://nikonites.com/macro/15027-poll-position-%95-macro-tools-race-tracks.html#axzz2a3QCE7jv

High keys may be a gentler way to say "hot spots" as in the pictures I was
talking about (post #330). As far as controlling the hot spots, at that scale,
the only way I know is HDR stacking. Of course, since this is a rather unusual
scene, it is hard to render in natural look. In lesser scale of dynamic range, a
good solution is the graduated neutral density filters.

I hope this will help…

Have a good day…