Baseball Photos - Braves v. Nats 4/14

_jonesy_

Took my D7000 to the game yesterday since we had pretty good seats. All taken with a NIKKOR 55-200mm DX VR. Let me know what you think. It was my first time really using the continuous AF and you can tell in a few shots I missed my spot a little. Shot aperature priority around F8. Shutter speed averaged around 1/2000 for the most part. Shot in Raw and edited using Lightroom. Overall I'm very impressed with the camera. Any tips for next time are appreciated! My personal favorite:

braves0414-18.jpg

The rest:
Braves vs Nats 4/14/13 - a set on Flickr

gqtuazon

Gear Head
It looks like the 1st base player was in focus. Player# 2 got in the way a little. How did you set your AF points? 9 points AF-C right? I think if you concentrated on the pitcher, the image would have looked much better. Keep on practicing and do post more of your work.

_jonesy_

Was using single point AF-C actually, though I was going for the runner at first to be in focus. I think the progression in focus from each player leads the eye through the shot, but I can see what you mean about focusing on the pitcher. #2 was in there on purpose, I'm a braves fan and wanted a good shot of both Upton brothers haha. Thanks for the feedback...

Took my D7000 to the game yesterday since we had pretty good seats. All taken with a NIKKOR 55-200mm DX VR. Let me know what you think. It was my first time really using the continuous AF and you can tell in a few shots I missed my spot a little. Shot aperature priority around F8. Shutter speed averaged around 1/2000 for the most part. Shot in Raw and edited using Lightroom. Overall I'm very impressed with the camera. Any tips for next time are appreciated! My personal favorite:

View attachment 33082

The rest:
Braves vs Nats 4/14/13 - a set on Flickr

What was the final score?

STM

It looks like the ChiSox are off to their worst start in many, many years. Already second from the bottom in the ALC and 2.5 games behind Detroit. KC is even doing better than they are for crying out loud! REALLY?

_jonesy_

It looks like the ChiSox are off to their worst start in many, many years. Already second from the bottom in the ALC and 2.5 games behind Detroit. KC is even doing better than they are for crying out loud! REALLY?

​Long season! 150 more games...

fotojack

Getting back to the pictures...;)...I think you would have had better results shooting in Shutter Mode instead of Aperture Mode. And yes, definitely use AF-C. You didn't happen to have a monopod with you, did you? I think that would help with keeping the shots sharp.

Mfrankfort

Usually for me, whenever I'm shooting sports, I use shutter priority if not using manual. Give that a whirl. And remember... go Tigers. :)

BackdoorArts

I would say something like, "That's a shame", but it would be lying, and just one more example of how it's possible to totally drift away from the topic of a thread. ;)

_jonesy_

Any particular reason you chose aperture priority? BTW, Lovely colors... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

That's just what I have always shot with, though I have mostly done still subjects. Will definitely try shutter priority next time using more AF points. What speeds would you recommend for certain situations? I'm going to the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal this June, which will be my next real chance to practice with moving subjects. May want to try panning with cars on the street first...