Macro for nikon d800e

JDFlood

I'll see if I can find some time to pull an example or two. I was thinking about what I said and wanted to reiterate, I struggle a bit with light on the 200m, you can't supplement with the on camera flash (shadow). So you have to pull out all the equipment to use it. You may also notice that my comments are mostly about usability. Reason is, that is most important to me. I do nature photography... In the field, not laboratory stuff. if I can't tell the difference between the lenses. Which I can't, then I pick the most usable. I can't tell because, I have never sat down with all three lenses and shot the same things under the same conditions. Why? I'm interested in photographing stuff and not becoming an equipment comparer.I read all the reviews and concluded the most important difference between them is usability, not output... Unless you are Ming Thein (google him, he knows how to do macro). The big variable in my macro photography, is my skill level... Way bigger than the sharpness of the lenses. If I was into lab stuff, I would have a permanent setup with the 200mm table, lights... Etc. hopefully this is useful. JD

kiwi86

I know Ming :) By the way he use Nikon Micro 60mm.
Practial application? Yes.
But real macro for me mean: tripod, manual focus, sufficient time, … :)

jwstl

After reading a number of favorable reviews, I recently purchased via the internet, a Like New, Sigma 150 Macro 2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM. It's the first non-Nikon lens I've ever purchased and I bought my first Nikon camera in 1986. Well the lens arrived today and I didn't read enough as I wasn't prepared for the size of this thing. It's a beast but an incredibly well made lens. And in the few shots I've taken around the house, it appears to be as good as advertised. If you are in the market for a Macro and have the budget, give this one a look.

kiwi86

Sigma 180 mm 2.8
Sigma 180 mm f/2.8 APO Macro EX DG OS HSM review - Summary - Lenstip.com

Sigma 150 2.8
Sigma 150 mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS HSM Macro review - Summary - Lenstip.com

Resolution:
f2/8-4.0 better Sigma 180 mm
f/5.6-16 approximately equivalent
f//22 better Sigma 150 mm

weight:
150 mm-1180 g : 180 mm-1638 g.
better Sigma 150 mm

min. focusing distance
Sigma 180 mm 47 cm
Sigma 150 mm 35 cm
better Sigma 180 mm

Only one question. Reliability? Too many times I read on the forums about problems with sigma ….

JDFlood

JD Flood: any sample images

I took a few with my 200mm this weekend... Note the pine needle in the last one for scale. It is blooming moss time out here. JD

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363046294.401401.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363046316.280354.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363046344.501996.jpg

crycocyon

Thanks very much for the comparison of the Nikon and Zeiss. The Zeiss definitely wins (not to say it always does against Nikon). I know the Nikon is no slouch but that test really shows the difference. I had been on the market for a macro as well and will probably go with a 105 Nikon until I can afford the Zeiss.