Manual setting

Eye-level

Banned
Hi Eye-Level, that could be true, but it would not make 5 stops of difference though.

Yes I agree with you there I was just pointing out the difference in metering...personally I would like to know more about the difference in metering ASA compared to ISO I just never have really studied it. Heck maybe it is the same but I don't really think so...

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Maybe the confusion comes from the fact (well my suspicion anyway) that the word light meter was used instead of flash meter.

Seems to me that the camera set on manual 1/125th f8 required an iso of 3200 to get the shot. But, the flash meter was giving f8 for iso 100. The camera does NOT KNOW that there will be a powerful flash burst to throw away it's measurements.

This is my understanding of this situation. Hope I can help.

piliff

wow thanks for all the comments everyone, not sure what meter was used but it looked very expensive as was the rest of the gear set up, the only other think that confused me was if i pointed the camera at the window and it got light it was ok, but when back in the room it was showing at minus on the +/- indication. _DSC0654.jpg
here is one of the photos taken.

Ruidoso Bill

Yes I agree with you there I was just pointing out the difference in metering...personally I would like to know more about the difference in metering ASA compared to ISO I just never have really studied it. Heck maybe it is the same but I don't really think so...

Tis the same.

ISO = International Standards Organization

ASA = American Standards Association

Same standards, different names, one international, one US only.

STM

What sort of meter were you using? You can't really use an old ASA meter for a modern ISO camera has been my experience...it is close but not right on...

Of course you can, I do it all the time, both with my Sekonic L-358 as a flash or incident meter and my 30+ year old Pentax Spotmatic V. I almost never rely the meter in my D700, and rarely in my F2 or F4. And besides, if you take any two ASA cameras and meter the same scene with the same lens they will almost never agree exactly and the very same can be said for any two modern digital cameras.