Post your Train shots!

Sandpatch

thegaffney, what sometimes appears as an easy photo is not so for me. After taking a number of eBay photos, I've found that taking clear, well-lit attractive product photos is much tougher than it appears. Yours is an excellent example of what I wish I could accomplish. Do you use a special background or is the photo "Shopped"? What do you use for lighting? Thanks -- your photo inspires me!

Last edited:

nikonpup

if you google "track 29 yakima, wa" you can find more info. Track 29 shopping plaza was built using box cars and then adding
i guess a western false store front. TRAIN 008.JPGTRAIN 021.JPGTRAIN 022.JPGTRAIN 023.JPGTRAIN 042.JPG

thegaffney

thegaffney, what sometimes appears as an easy photo is not so for me. After taking a number of eBay photos, I've found that taking clear, well-lit attractive product photos is much tougher than it appears. Yours is an excellent example of what I wish I could accomplish. Do you use a special background or is the photo "Shopped"? What do you use for lighting? Thanks -- your photo inspires me!

Thanks! I have 2 blank, white, metal parking signs (we have them laying around work), one on the bottom, one in the back, they are like 18 x 12 or something? And I have them in a cardboard box, the same size, with the top and one side cut out. and I use white paper for the 2 sides just to let more light bounce around.

Then I have 2 desk lamps, each with daylight colored halogen bulbs, one on each side pointing into the box from the top.

The metal signs are what makes the reflection on the bottom, but im sure you can just use paper there too, but the metal signs are easier to clean off, after a while the paper would get dirty or wrinkled

And that's about it :)

Here is kinda a picture of it, took it when testing the white balance.

_DSC0079.JPG

jlg759

Here is one of Norfolk Southern 's heritage locomotives Pennsylvania 8102. I also included one of R&N 425.

Attachments

• 2546 Goodrich 042712.jpg
    2546 Goodrich 042712.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 157
  • 689 Goodrich 101710.jpg
    689 Goodrich 101710.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 131

Sandpatch

Here is one of Norfolk Southern 's heritage locomotives Pennsylvania 8102. I also included one of R&N 425.

Wow -- great shots both! I am envious. Despite several valliant efforts, I have yet to get a decent photo of any of the NS Heritage units. I need to make a trip to the Pokey Div., as many of them seem to congregate there.

Last edited:

nikonpup

hi, i got tired of taking fog/frost pictures at home so i went for a field trip today. I did not expect any train shot but i got 3 trains today. This series, they where headed south as i was going north. Got stopped and got one ofCANYON TRAIN 181.JPGCANYON TRAIN 189.JPGCANYON TRAIN 207.JPGCANYON TRAIN 219.JPGCANYON TRAIN 221.JPG tail end charlie. Then i took off after the train got the next one just after i got parked. Then he stopped, what the heck. So i waited 20 degrees trying to snow. Looked for another position to shot from and got these 3. Sure helps when he is going slow.