Post Your Birds (3)

Robin W

Cedar Waxwing
RD5_8686-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

wildshots

Goldfinch, winter plumage. Love these home made feeders made from plastic snack jars. Can be made in under two minutes and when they get soiled, toss 'em and hang another.

Clovishound

That would be an all you can eat buffet for the squirrels in my backyard. They'd have it cleaned out in no time and be knocking on the back door for more. If I want to feed birds, I have to use baffles, and squirrel resistant feeders, and even then the darned tree rats manage to get into them.

wildshots

That would be an all you can eat buffet for the squirrels in my backyard. They'd have it cleaned out in no time and be knocking on the back door for more. If I want to feed birds, I have to use baffles, and squirrel resistant feeders, and even then the darned tree rats manage to get into them.
Squirrels can go through a ton of sunflower seed in no time. There are squirrels here but so far they have not been a problem.

Robin W

Squirrels can go through a ton of sunflower seed in no time. There are squirrels here but so far they have not been a problem.
I had set one of those out and a post in front of it for the birds to land on before making the short flight to the feeder. I was hoping to get a better in flight photo of some birds. Not only did the squirrels clean it out they would go all the way inside and stick their head out while they ate. I gave up on that idea pretty quickly. I'm glad your squirrels haven't found it yet.

wildshots

Yes, Golden Crowned Kinglet. He was beautiful. He almost looked like someone playing with a laser pointer his little crown was so bright. I was able to get a lot of good photos of him.
Kinglets are such a treat (and so hard to capture) they almost never stop moving. I'd hardly seen any until this winter. I've been so fortunate to have a pair of each, Golden Crown and Ruby Crown visiting. As you probably know, they eat mostly small insects but... they have found my suet cakes I put out for the woodpeckers. They like the lard. I have been able to get some photos but not as great as yours. The Ruby Crown male almost never displays. One day, there were too many other birds around 'his' suet. He got antsy and popped the red out a couple of times. I'm hoping they stay around until mating season, maybe I'll get better photos. Again, love yours!

Last edited:

Robin W

Kinglets are such a treat (and so hard to capture) they almost never stop moving. I'd hardly seen any until this winter. I've been so fortunate to have a pair of each, Golden Crown and Ruby Crown visiting. As you probably know, they eat mostly small insects but... they have found my suet cakes I put out for the woodpeckers. They like the lard. I have been able to get some photos but not as great as yours. The Ruby Crown male almost never displays. One day, there were too many other birds around 'his' suet. He got antsy and popped the red out a couple of times. I'm hoping they stay around until mating season, maybe I'll get better photos. Again, love yours!

He got angry then popped up his crown, that might explain why this one stayed around so long. I was trying to call a screech owls when he showed up. I have never got the Ruby Crowned Kinglet.