Post your Train shots!

Sandpatch

From 10/30/1977 at Knoxville, TN, Southern Railway's 2-8-2 No. 4501 arrives with a fantrip. The 4501 was Southern's first steam fantrip locomotive and achieved great notoriety in that role. As interest in steam trips grew and the trains got longer, the 4501 was displaced by larger steam locomotives. Happily, the 4501 resides today in full operation at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum in Chattanooga. [Nikkormat FTn]

1977-10-30 005 Knoxville TN - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

Chicago & North Western eastbound local at Barrington, IL, mid-1970s. The Elgin, Joliet & Eastern's tower is in the distance to the left. Dig that jointed double-track mainline rail. Continuous welded rail became an industry-wide standard shortly afterwards. [Nikkormat FT-n]

1970s Mid 036 CNW Barrington IL - for upload.jpg

1970s Mid 037 CNW Barrington IL - for upload.jpg

crashton

Another fine shot from the wayback machine Sandpatch. What lens was screwed on the front of your Nikkormat? I used a 50mm f2 Nikkor on mine, aka what Nikon deemed a normal lens.

Sandpatch

Another fine shot from the wayback machine Sandpatch. What lens was screwed on the front of your Nikkormat? I used a 50mm f2 Nikkor on mine, aka what Nikon deemed a normal lens.

Ha! That was the exact same lens that I had. My biggest mistake was taking the advice of a contributor to a photo magazine back then who advised that a yellow filter should be used to boost contrast and make dramatic skies. I took the advice and in my inexperience, failed to notice that it muddied up all of my pictures.

crashton

Ha! That was the exact same lens that I had. My biggest mistake was taking the advice of a contributor to a photo magazine back then who advised that a yellow filter should be used to boost contrast and make dramatic skies. I took the advice and in my inexperience, failed to notice that it muddied up all of my pictures.

Oh man yellow filters LOL! I learned a tough lesson about using them myself. Used one on my Olympus 35Rc rangefinder while shooting TriX. Trouble was when I switched to slide film I forgot to remove the filter. Ruined a couple of rolls before I realized my mistake ARG%#! :unconscious:

Sandpatch

It's been a long time since I visited Martinsburg, WV and the simple location I once knew has been developed with metered parking, an expanded station, fences, shrubbery and other impediments to frustrate photography. On Wednesday 09/21, I took this picture of the arriving Capitol Limited through window glass, which changed up the colors somewhat. I've been messing around with some edits to correct.

2022-09-21 002 Martinsburg WV - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

Two notable and beautifully restored diesels on display at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania at Strasburg. The first is an EMD E-7 and the other an EMD GP-30.

2022-09-23 007 Strasburg PA - for upload.jpg

2022-09-23 008 Strasburg PA - for upload.jpg

Sandpatch

From the mid-1970s at Rondout, IL, a Milwaukee Road caboose. These were painted orange, so another shot I wish I had on Kodachrome! Oh well. Note the special trucks to give the crew a better ride. [Nikkormat FTn, 50mm Nikkor]

1970s Mid 003 CABOOSE MILW Rondout IL - for upload.jpg

Last edited:

Sandpatch

Monster of a train headed west leaving the CSX Willard yard. DPU's pushing hard...

Wow, I can almost feel the rumble there -- great captures! I see that your Exposure Compensation shows "-0.33 EV". Do you set that per experience, bracketing or test shots? There are some lighting conditions that trick my D5100, resulting in dark pictures when it happens. I've look up how to set the camera to bracket, but with a moving train, I'm guessing none of the frames will capture the same composition.

Anyway, glad you found some train action at Willard. :encouragement:

Sandpatch

Nothing caught my eye in the Yakima train yard. So i shot their rose bush. :)

:eek: I've done this sort of thing too when the wait for a train becomes too much to endure, shooting birds, bugs, weeds and whatever else might help pass the time.

Seaboard Coast Line lock, 11/15/1992 Southern Pines, NC [Nikon N2020, Kodachrome]

1992-11-15 SCL Lock Southern Pines NC - for upload.jpg

crashton

Wow, I can almost feel the rumble there -- great captures! I see that your Exposure Compensation shows "-0.33 EV". Do you set that per experience, bracketing or test shots? There are some lighting conditions that trick my D5100, resulting in dark pictures when it happens. I've look up how to set the camera to bracket, but with a moving train, I'm guessing none of the frames will capture the same composition.

Anyway, glad you found some train action at Willard. :encouragement:

Thank you, yes the DPU's were really screaming when they past by.

I have gotten in the habit of setting the exposure compensation to 1/3 under since I've started shooting with Fuji cameras. It keeps me from blowing out the highlights & shadows can be easily lifted in pp. I have used bracketing too & like you have said the composition does change. Shooting a fast shutter speed & high frame rate does help. I also try to leave room for some cropping in the composition I've lined up.