+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    xicaque's Avatar

    Re: Photoshop Tips and Tricks

    Great thread! Thanks!!


    › See More: Photoshop Tips and Tricks
    Using Tapatalk



  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    16-Bit Mode in PS by Default? Yes! Sort of Anyway...

    Do you prefer to work with RAW files in Photoshop in 16-Bit Mode (versus 8-Bit that Photoshop opens them in by default)? Do you find it annoying you *can't* configure Photoshop to open your RAW files in 16-Bit Mode by default? I know I did... Why on earth would I want to work with my precious 14-Bit RAW file in 8-Bit Mode like some common JPG? Yes, I know I can manually open my RAW file in 16-Bit Mode in Photoshop by going to: Image / Mode / 16-bit for every shot, but today I found a pretty nifty, semi-work around; it's not perfect but it's a lot better than nothing. It does assume you start your workflow using Adobe Camera RAW, but that's what I do so I found the following very helpful.

    Open your RAW file in ACR and, at the very bottom of the screen, dead center, find the blue hyperlink. Click on this link to open the "Workflow Options" menu. From this menu there is the option to control bit-depth. Use the drop-down menu to select 16-Bits/Channel and click OK. From this point on, RAW files will open in ACR in 16-Bit Mode and then in Photoshop when you open you them from ACR.

    HA!!

    *happy dance*

    ....
    Thanks/Like Blade Canyon, Bill16, Krs_2007, Felisek Thanks/liked this post
     
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D850, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 G2, Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Godox Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●

  3. #23
    RIP :(
    Don Kuykendall's Avatar

    Re: Photoshop Tips and Tricks

    Mine was set that way by default.

    ================================================== ============================
    D750***D7100***24-120 f/4 ***70-300***Tamron 150-600***Tokina 16-28 f2.8***50mm f/1.8***Photoshop/Lightroom CC

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Stoshowicz's Avatar

    Re: Photoshop Tips and Tricks

    I'm pretty sure my own copy of the software has an option which I clicked at the bottom of the camera raw , a choice which will apply to all the photos as they get shifted into photoshop proper , re: the bit depth. but I dont know if thats all versions. But frankly I dont see any improvement whatsoever with the higher bit depths unless I save jpegs repeatedly , and then start to see banding, so I save as TIFFs with the minimal compression.
    Last edited by Stoshowicz; 09-15-2014 at 09:40 PM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: Photoshop Tips and Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by Stoshowicz View Post
    I'm pretty sure my own copy of the software has an option which I clicked at the bottom of the camera raw , a choice which will apply to all the photos as they get shifted into photoshop proper , re: the bit depth. but I dont know if thats all versions. But frankly I dont see any improvement whatsoever with the higher bit depths unless I save jpegs repeatedly , and then start to see banding, so I save as TIFFs with the minimal compression.
    If you want to do your edits in 8-Bit Mode, more power to you, I don't; and my post was aimed at those who also prefer to edit in 16-Bit Mode.

    ....
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D850, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 G2, Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Godox Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●

  6. #26
    RIP :(
    Don Kuykendall's Avatar

    Re: Photoshop Tips and Tricks

    I like to have the biggest RAW files coming out of my camera and the most info to work with all the way through the editing process. I need all the help I can get. I went directly to my computer and checked this setting when I read it this morning. Mine was already set to 16bit so I guess it was there by default. Either way I appreciate the tips.

    Quote Originally Posted by Horoscope Fish View Post
    If you want to do your edits in 8-Bit Mode, more power to you, I don't; and my post was aimed at those who also prefer to edit in 16-Bit Mode.

    ....
    Thanks/Like RON Thanks/liked this post
     

    ================================================== ============================
    D750***D7100***24-120 f/4 ***70-300***Tamron 150-600***Tokina 16-28 f2.8***50mm f/1.8***Photoshop/Lightroom CC

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    J-see's Avatar

    Re: Photoshop Tips and Tricks

    Can you guys directly edit the RAW in PS?

    I'm asking because I'm adjusting to LR at the moment but when I go to PS with my RAW from there, it first converts it to a 16bit Tiff. I've got a version of PS Noah took on his boat which is why I'm curious if the newer versions directly import the RAW.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: Photoshop Tips and Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by J-see View Post
    Can you guys directly edit the RAW in PS?

    I'm asking because I'm adjusting to LR at the moment but when I go to PS with my RAW from there, it first converts it to a 16bit Tiff. I've got a version of PS Noah took on his boat which is why I'm curious if the newer versions directly import the RAW.
    You can if you want to. In fact that's what I used to do before I got really comfortable using Adobe Camera RAW which, now that I really know how to use, I wouldn't want to give up for both love AND money. My workflow takes me from Adobe Bridge (where I review, purge, tag, etc.) to Adobe Camera RAW (where I do my basic, routine edits) to Photoshop (where I apply any final touches).

    ....
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D850, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 G2, Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Godox Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    J-see's Avatar

    Re: Photoshop Tips and Tricks

    Is Camera Raw similar to Lightroom?

    I'm starting to like Lightroom and currently do most processing in it but I miss layers and opacity which is why I each time end up in PS again.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Horoscope Fish's Avatar

    Re: Photoshop Tips and Tricks

    Quote Originally Posted by J-see View Post
    Is Camera Raw similar to Lightroom?

    I'm starting to like Lightroom and currently do most processing in it but I miss layers and opacity which is why I each time end up in PS again.
    I'm not a LR user, so it's hard for me to compare them directly. I don't know that I could live for long without Layers or the Opacity slider... That being said, though, I don't really think ACR was meant to be as... complete an editing tool, I guess, as Lightroom is. LR seems to be more digital file collection oriented, while ACR and Photoshop I think are designed to work hand in hand and seem more individual digital file oriented. For me, ACR significantly reduces the time I spend in Photoshop because ACR handles the "grunt work" while PS is the big gun I use for creative effect.

    I hope that helps...

    ....
    ~ Paul
    ....
    ....
    Primary Kit :: D850, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 G2, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 G2, Sigma 135mm f/1.8 Art, Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art,
    Godox Flashes & Triggers, Manfrotto X055PROB, 3-Legged Thing Airhed II... All Stuffed into a Manfrotto Pro Backpack 50
    ....
    ....
    ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ๑۩۩๑ ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●





Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above before posting.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •