View RSS Feed
Rate this Entry
Of late I have suffered the motivation to get out and take photos. I relate this due to the ever present heat (37deg C today) and the fact that I got into my mind that there was nothing to photograph in the "dry season". Honestly I could not be more wrong, all I need is motivation and a keen eye. Yes maybe I need to look harder for the wetlands as they have mostly dried up but they are there and the wildlife should be more abundant due to the lack of water sources.
I would like to thank nikonites for renewing my motivation and passion for photography and within this blog I am going to try and capture the events and adventures leading up to some of my photos.

A little about myself, I am an Aussie and have been to various parts of the world always with camera in hand. Ever since I can remember I have taken photos, from film to digital. I love capturing that moment or sharing something unique. I also draw and paint and I guess in "some" of my composition I am thinking "will this make a good painting/drawing". In Australia we have had a mining boom which has allowed me to work within this industry, it also allows a lot of time off due to long working shifts. The average is a week off at a time. As you could probably guess this extra time off allows you to get out more and see the world.

During the years I have taken photos with a DSLR I have always used a Nikon, I think the reason being is that they sit in my hand just right and feel a part of me.

In March 2013 (which is approaching fast) I am heading to Africa for 56 days, and boy am I excited about that . I have started buying more camera gear (lens's, SD cards, mini rugged HDD). And have been reading "alot" about certain types of photography which include, wildlife photography, portraiture photography and candid or freelance journalism. It will be an amazing and unique trip which I hope to be able to capture with my own eyes and camera.

Over the following months I am hoping to increase my photography ability and am hoping to be able to get results from my D800 that I know are available with the correct technique/skills. I hope you enjoy what is to follow and the results that I am hoping to achieve.

Only one more 12hr shift after tonight and then I will be out and about taking photos which will be placed up in the critique sections for serious unbridled critique (please don't hold back).

Anyway thanks again for the motivation and I look forward to sharing my journey with you all.
1 Thanks/Like
Thanks/Like Dave_W Thanks/liked this post

Updated 09-23-2012 at 12:16 PM by Scott Murray

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Photos , Landscape , Wild Life , Low Light & Night

Comments

  1. Scott Murray's Avatar
    Wildlife seen tonight while working. A 5 to 6ft Salt water crocodile and a 1 metre golden tree snake. Along with a dingo and her 2 pups. The joys of working in the NT.
    0 Thanks/Like
  2. Dave_W's Avatar
    Keep in mind that the dry season with little to moisture in the air makes for great nighttime sky photos as well as buildings and factories at night. The problem with living in San Diego for evening photography is the marine layer. The moisture diffuses the night light and results in redish-pink night time skies.
    0 Thanks/Like
  3. Scott Murray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Dave
    Keep in mind that the dry season with little to moisture in the air makes for great nighttime sky photos as well as buildings and factories at night. The problem with living in San Diego for evening photography is the marine layer. The moisture diffuses the night light and results in redish-pink night time skies.
    We get a marine layer here too in Darwin, but I am fortunate enough to be able to head inland where I am sure I can get some great sky photos. I will need to investigate the buildings/factories as well as the docks of fishing boats. Thanks for the ideas
    0 Thanks/Like
  4. Ironwood's Avatar
    Hi Scott, I lived up in Weipa for almost 20 years, so on a similar latitude to you. Thinking back, there were some incredible opportunities for photography up there that I didnt take advantage of.
    The old saying rings true, "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence".
    I transfered down here 9 years ago, swapping Bauxite mining on the Cape, for Coal mining in the Bowen Basin.
    Theres some good photo opportunities down here as well , I just need to get out more.
    1 Thanks/Like
    Thanks/Like Scott Murray Thanks/liked this post
  5. Scott Murray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood
    Hi Scott, I lived up in Weipa for almost 20 years, so on a similar latitude to you. Thinking back, there were some incredible opportunities for photography up there that I didnt take advantage of.
    The old saying rings true, "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence".
    I transfered down here 9 years ago, swapping Bauxite mining on the Cape, for Coal mining in the Bowen Basin.
    Theres some good photo opportunities down here as well , I just need to get out more.
    Yes I really need to get out and make an effort, I have downloaded maps and have a few ideas of where to go. Mainly I will be just exploring and marking down ideal spots. Only 11hrs of work to go
    0 Thanks/Like
  6. Ironwood's Avatar
    So I take you are on nightshift tonight, 6 to 6 ?

    I visited Darwin a couple of times many years ago, I stayed with friends out at Humpty Doo. Had some wild times.
    I dont remember too much of the sights up there, but I do remember going to something (?) Berry Springs, or Berry Berry Springs, it was a beautiful place.
    0 Thanks/Like
  7. Scott Murray's Avatar
    Yes Berry springs is great, but its hard to avoid the crowds.
    Yep night shift 6 to 6, but counting down the hrs. There is a lot of great scenery up here and I am excited to get out and see it over the coming week.
    0 Thanks/Like
  8. Fork's Avatar
    Funnily enough, even living in London I sometimes think I'm running out of things to photograph. It's surprisingly difficult, particularly in London to find things to photograph that a gazillion tourists haven't already photographed to death, but if you find the places out of the way and look at things you wouldn't normally look at it's amazing what you find to photograph.

    I don't know Darwin in , but just looking at it on Google Earth I see you're on the coast. I count 6 river deltas accessible by the main roads out of Darwin, an airport, a race track, a harbour, acres and acres of forest. Is there anyway to get to that peninsula across the Port of Darwin?

    Sometimes you have to spend a bit of time somewhere where you don't normally go. Why would you go to the airport if you weren't catching a flight? Well, if you can find a good view of the runway you could catch aircraft taking off/landing and during the golden hour that could give you some amazing results. There's another tiny aerodrome in Humpty Doo (and frankly, if there are no photo opportunities in a place called Humpty Doo, then life just isn't worth living!). That's only one idea, but there are literally millions of photo opportunities around you. You just have to get the drive to go out and find them.

    Get out and enjoy taking photos!
    0 Thanks/Like
    Updated 09-24-2012 at 04:56 PM by Fork
  9. Scott Murray's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fork
    Funnily enough, even living in London I sometimes think I'm running out of things to photograph. It's surprisingly difficult, particularly in London to find things to photograph that a gazillion tourists haven't already photographed to death, but if you find the places out of the way and look at things you wouldn't normally look at it's amazing what you find to photograph.

    I don't know Darwin in , but just looking at it on Google Earth I see you're on the coast. I count 6 river deltas accessible by the main roads out of Darwin, an airport, a race track, a harbour, acres and acres of forest. Is there anyway to get to that peninsula across the Port of Darwin?

    Sometimes you have to spend a bit of time somewhere where you don't normally go. Why would you go to the airport if you weren't catching a flight? Well, if you can find a good view of the runway you could catch aircraft taking off/landing and during the golden hour that could give you some amazing results. There's another tiny aerodrome in Humpty Doo (and frankly, if there are no photo opportunities in a place called Humpty Doo, then life just isn't worth living!). That's only one idea, but there are literally millions of photo opportunities around you. You just have to get the drive to go out and find them.

    Get out and enjoy taking photos!
    Yes you are right about so many options out there for photography, and I tend to get off my backside and do alot more. We do have to be careful near the rivers though as those 10ft snapping handbags are everywhere especially this time of year. I have downloaded 3gb of maps and am intending on filling my 4wd up (215litres of Diesel) and driving. I have some tracks in mind that will only be accessible this time of year. Plus I have some places close by that look promising for photos. So stay tuned as I will be sure to post some photos over the coming days.
    0 Thanks/Like
  10. Fork's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by muzza22au
    Yes you are right about so many options out there for photography, and I tend to get off my backside and do alot more. We do have to be careful near the rivers though as those 10ft snapping handbags are everywhere especially this time of year. I have downloaded 3gb of maps and am intending on filling my 4wd up (215litres of Diesel) and driving. I have some tracks in mind that will only be accessible this time of year. Plus I have some places close by that look promising for photos. So stay tuned as I will be sure to post some photos over the coming days.

    Of course, I didn't think about the crocs! Did I learn nothing from Crocodile Dundee?! It's easy to forget when the worse thing you can expect from a river here is a moody swan (they can break your arm with their wings, don'tcha know!)!
    1 Thanks/Like
    Thanks/Like Scott Murray Thanks/liked this post
  11. Ironwood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by muzza22au
    Yes Berry springs is great, but its hard to avoid the crowds.
    Yep night shift 6 to 6, but counting down the hrs. There is a lot of great scenery up here and I am excited to get out and see it over the coming week.
    Probably 20 years since I was there last, so no doubt it a bit busier now, I seem to remember we were about the only ones at Berry springs the time I went there.

    My mates place up there was like party central, so I was drunk half of the time I was up there.
    He had a pen full of pigs down the backyard, seemed like every 2nd or 3rd day he was killing another pig for a hungi or to put it on a spit, some wild times were had up there for sure.
    0 Thanks/Like
  12. silvercreek's Avatar
    You may be looking too hard. I find some of my best shots are just around the corner.
    0 Thanks/Like

+ Post Comment

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL: