Should i buy a D90

i love cameras

What are the advantages and disadvantages of D90 camera? What price should i pay for this model?

Attachments

• ItsMe3.jpg
    ItsMe3.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 335

cookstarcarolyn

Not sure what the advantages/disadvatages are compared to other brands..but I know one thing..I LOVE my Nikon D90!! I paid $1500.00 for it a year and a half ago ( body and 18-105mm lens kit)..not sure what they are worth now. would never trade it for anything!!

goz63

Advantages: Focus motor built into the body allowing Auto Focus with many lenses that don't have a silent wave motor built in. The D3000, D3100 and D5000 don't have that. The D90 also has one of the best "high ISO to low noise" ratios in the Nikon fleet. Some reports say that only the D3 can beet it for low noise. It has many of the same features of the high end cameras and will produce pictures equal to a D300. It is a truly versatile and competent camera. I love mine and most everyone that has one loves it.
Disadvantages: It is not weather sealed. Has 11 focus points (not a disadvantage but the higher end Nikons have 52), Higher price than the D5000. Can you really call these disadvantages? That is up to you.
Mark

Last edited:

johnwartjr

Great body. I got mine for around $900 on closeout when Circuit City closed up shop here. The larger LCD is a nice upgrade over the smaller ones that come on the lower end bodies.

The differences are pretty well chronicled here; the only drawbacks I had between the D90 and D300 were that the D90 is not as well protected from the weather as the D300 (kept a trash bag in my back pocket in case of rain!) and it only supports 12 bit raw instead of 14 bit raw. There are other differences, but those were the only 2 on my mind.

goz63

I am not considering the weather proofing a drawback as I am not going to use my camera in bad weather, OK I am a wimp but how different will the 14bit Raw files be?

johnwartjr

Love my D90 thus far. I have found that I take better pictures in manual mode versus auto mode though, which I find interesting.

I don't find that strange or interesting at all. In manual mode, you get to make the decisions. Just like shooting JPG instead of RAW - the camera makes the decisions for you in JPG - in RAW, you get to make the decisions on editing, balance, etc before you export to jpg or whatever format you like.

luvinrunnin

John, I just find it odd that many of my photos end up washed out looking on auto mode. I am still a very rank beginner, but still manage to get better quality pics on manual. Kind of amusing considering I was so chicken to go manual! lol

Last edited:

ewNY

I bought D90 for $1000 in July because my D40x broke and I need a replacement quick. It matches my budget and enough for what I need to do now. Eventually I'll buy a higher end model. So it really depends on what your needs are.

fotojack

Should you buy a D90? Yeah, sure...go ahead. :)

Seriously, though, if I didn't already have a D200, I would get a D90. I've heard nothing but great reviews on it.