Z 8 Mini Z 9 or Comparable D850 - Changes Coming

Danno

Well, I watched the announcement of the Z8 and was glad for what they had to say about it. I watched Matt Irwin and Ricci Talks videos and was happy regarding their reviews and I preordered the Z8. The Z8 is a beast. I am excited about it. I would love to get it in May or Early June, but I am hoping it will show before the summer is over.

I know I do not post as much as I used to but I am taking a bunch of photos at my Church and I am not comfortable posting those photos. Baptisms and such are just a bit personal.

I know some of you know I have had trouble going out and about much since my wife passed. Well, I would use Jersey Girl as an excuse for not doing things. Now I have no excuses. God has pressed me to get moving. This week I replaced my road-weary carry-on with a big bag that will hold a week or two worth of clothes and the Explorer has new shoes as well as fresh oil.

My first trip is to Arkansas to see my sister and her family the second week of June. Then Wisconsin family in July and Virginia in September or October.

Clovishound

I believe you will find that the more you get out and do things, the more you will want to get out and do things. I'm finding that out now that my wife is doing well enough to leave her on her own for several hours or more.

I have been looking with interest at the Z8. I would love to have one, but can't justify the $$$ right now. Of course, if I can't take good pictures with my Z5, I won't be able to take good pictures with a Z8. Still, there's no denying that we love our technology in this hobby. Looking forward to what you can do with it. Hopefully it will arrive soon.

I'm rather looking forward to the rumored release of the Z90. A higher resolution mirrorless camera in the D500 tradition might be right up my alley, and perhaps my wallet.

Danno

I'm rather looking forward to the rumored release of the Z90. A higher resolution mirrorless camera in the D500 tradition might be right up my alley, and perhaps my wallet.

I think that has to be close. They have the focus system in the Z9. It would be interesting to see a cropped stacked sensor.

Clovishound

It would be a lot cheaper for me to purchase a crop sensor camera in the range of the D500 than an 800mm lens of decent resolution and speed. Not to mention upgraded sensor resolution and autofocus capability, and fps. Since I have gravitated to wildlife photography, those things are more important to me now, than when I bought the Z5.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I'm glad to hear you've been photographing and will be getting out more. Keeping yourself in motion is important!

I find myself being happy to wait for the right mirrorless camera that will fit my budget. Years ago I never thought I'd own a 300 HP Mustang, as much as I wanted one. Then a few years ago I got a base model V-6 with 305 HP at a price that I could easily afford. LOL.

I'm looking forward to your impressions on the Z8 when you get your hands on one. Enjoy it!

Danno

It would be a lot cheaper for me to purchase a crop sensor camera in the range of the D500 than an 800mm lens of decent resolution and speed. Not to mention upgraded sensor resolution and autofocus capability, and fps. Since I have gravitated to wildlife photography, those things are more important to me now, than when I bought the Z5.

Unless you are in the market for it right now I would wait a bit and see what is coming. I use my 200 - 500 Nikon when I want to shoot wildlife. It will be interesting to see if Nikon puts out a replacement for the D500 on the Z platform. But you cannot go wrong getting a D500 with a low shutter count used and any of the long lenses from Tamron, Sigma, or Nikon. If I were getting serious about it I would surely touch base with Woodyg3. He has a good grasp of that genre and the D500.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Unless you are in the market for it right now I would wait a bit and see what is coming. I use my 200 - 500 Nikon when I want to shoot wildlife. It will be interesting to see if Nikon puts out a replacement for the D500 on the Z platform. But you cannot go wrong getting a D500 with a low shutter count used and any of the long lenses from Tamron, Sigma, or Nikon. If I were getting serious about it I would surely touch base with Woodyg3. He has a good grasp of that genre and the D500.

Isn't this the one anticipated to replace the D500? It might be called the Z90.

Danno

Isn't this the one anticipated to replace the D500? It might be called the Z90.

That’s the one. It will be interesting to see what comes of it. This video is not very good. The assumptions no longer accurate. It sounds like it was recorded a couple years ago.

Last edited: