wow a lot of tracking on this site.

rocketman122

nah. I let the specific cookies I need for login stay, all the rest goes. many hide tracking analytics and advertising in the 2nd cookie they post as their website. so for instance. first says dpreview.com. that I let, anything after that with a dpreview.com doesnt get past. thats how I do it and thats it. one time and im done. google is the worst. just a shet company in every way.

BobB

I dumped google on my laptop since it is such a hog. Went back to IE and am a happy clam again. I use Fire Fox on my main machine. Just don't trust Google.

rocketman122

I dont trust any companies actually.

There, I fixed it for you, rocket man! ;)

WM

Im almost there with 100% (90%) there is a huge list of companies I hate with a passion. it used to be that even though we know companies needed to profit and were greedy, you didnt really feel it. you felt they had morals and there was pride when buying their products. today extreme capitalism is so dominant with them and they have such chutzpah and want to run over anyone in their way. like instagram (facebook) who changed their TOS that said theyre allowed to use peoples uploads for their own profit by selling them. if no one actually read the tos of service they would do it. just a small example.
microsoft is one as of late who "reaches" but and when theres an outcry, change their decision back and cancel.

so like you I dont trust companies also. they have this nasty aura of greed upon them.

Wolfeye

In short - yes.
You have no privacy, they know where you go and what you buy.

Certainly, but I'm not sure how that hurts me. They might use it to pop up an ad for something similar - I got no problem with that. And they don't really know "who" I am, just some guy named Wolfeye who likes Nikons.

wornish

Certainly, but I'm not sure how that hurts me. They might use it to pop up an ad for something similar - I got no problem with that. And they don't really know "who" I am, just some guy named Wolfeye who likes Nikons.

Bet they do know who you are.

Do you have internet at home ?
Do you have a bank account and access it online?

I could list more but don't be fooled you are being tracked.

J-see

The worst part about tracking and storing information is that it can affect the information that is directed towards you.

If you take google as an example; it used to be a fantastic search engine but now they decide which information will appear first and which will only appear many pages after that. While we might think it doesn't matter, it has an influence on the information we gather and thus indirectly on our thinking and decisions.

It's not just online, even people that have those supermarket saving cards, the type that grants you a free towel for every 100.000$ you buy there. What they do is collect your information and if they have your address, send you promos specifically constructed based upon your buying habits.

It's everywhere in life, they all try to gather as much information as possible, sell it if they can and then all use it to their full advantage which is almost always at your expense.

We're all but a resource.

Wolfeye

You wanna really be tracked? Buy a domain name. Trust me, your name and address are sold so fast you might get mail the next day. You won't believe the amount of junk (real) mail that'll start showing up in your mailbox.

People have been trying to influence the thoughtmaking process of other human beings for thousands of years. Religion. Politics. War. Some of it works on some of the people some of the time. The rest just gets pitched. Being aware that you are being advertised to is half the battle. Only you can decide what is worth listening to or buying. Got a D800 or D750 or Dxxx? You my friend, were advertised to. :)

10 Gauge

114919490_tin_foil_hat_3_xlarge.jpeg

J-see

You wanna really be tracked? Buy a domain name. Trust me, your name and address are sold so fast you might get mail the next day. You won't believe the amount of junk (real) mail that'll start showing up in your mailbox.

People have been trying to influence the thoughtmaking process of other human beings for thousands of years. Religion. Politics. War. Some of it works on some of the people some of the time. The rest just gets pitched. Being aware that you are being advertised to is half the battle. Only you can decide what is worth listening to or buying. Got a D800 or D750 or Dxxx? You my friend, were advertised to. :)

I had several domains back in the day but they didn't demand real names. I've never used my own name online and switch identities and emails on a regular base. The moment the spam builds up, I move.

People are unaware what a nasty side the internet has. I frequented the darker parts for a long time and have seen plenty an abuse of information. People's behavior more often than not is patterned and because of those, they leave breadcrumbs to follow. Enter some nasty that picks them up and directs the information they find and you're in for more trouble than you could imagine.

It can get way worse than ending up with a D750. ;)

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I forgot to respond to this.
started using ghostery app for FF and im a bit disappointed theres so many trackers visiting this site.

chartbeat
Tells me if the site goes down & how many people are currently on the site

commission junction
Affiliate links, probably coming through Skimlinks

facebook connect
The like buttons - if you get an ad on FB for photography stuff, this is probably why

google analytics
google+
Statistics and our Google+ page that I don't use much

netsheller
Banner advertising affiliate - AKA Ziff Davis

When you copy/paste something and link is inserted at the end.

Regardless, any data collected by 3rd parties is done anonymously. Personally identifiable information is never collected and sold to anyone. 99.9% of the time the only thing that is being done (on this site at least) is targeting ads to you based on pages that you visit. It's gotten really really complex over the 15+ years I've been running sites and displaying ads on them.

WayneF

Cookies are pretty much a fact of life. :) It's been true a long time, even if only becoming aware now.

I don't worry with it, I just set Firefox to delete all cookies when it closes (except a very few like this site, where the cookie retains my log on ID, so a few are excepted).

Even if we refuse the cookie, they still know we are here this time. Without the cookie, they just may not realize it is us again next time.

If you want to really see something, look at this photo forum:
Photography Forum

It varies with every instance (different ads), keep clicking page refresh, but normally around 30 cookies, and I have seen 55 a few times. :)

coolbus18

Yup like everywhere on the net. I've been using Ghostery for many years , also Ad Block and Web of Trust(which will warn you about sites you may explore).It's a chess game, gotta keep makin' smart moves in advance. sigh

mikew_RIP

Just sat here for 3 minutes waiting for the forum to finish loading,in the end i shut it down and tried again,this time it took two minutes to completely load,all the time i was waiting it said in the bottom corner of the screen looking up de.tynt.com 5 minutes to get on the forum,nearly every time i have a problem its this de,tynt thing.

wornish

Just sat here for 3 minutes waiting for the forum to finish loading,in the end i shut it down and tried again,this time it took two minutes to completely load,all the time i was waiting it said in the bottom corner of the screen looking up de.tynt.com 5 minutes to get on the forum,nearly every time i have a problem its this de,tynt thing.

The page it is trying to get is the home page for Tomcat. Tomcat is part of the software stack that lets you run Java app servlets in your browser. So I am guessing thats its a problem with Java on your system. It could be an advertising applet on the Nikonite site that is trying to do something.

Java is notorious for causing problems. Have you run your antivirus software recently perhaps you need a scan. Niconites is working fine for me right now.

mikew_RIP

Ran a Mcaffee scan 3 days ago,mind you its a waste of time,the only time it says its found something is when its due to renew :D supposed to be on this full time scan as well as the normal full scan

wornish

Ran a Mcaffee scan 3 days ago,mind you its a waste of time,the only time it says its found something is when its due to renew :D supposed to be on this full time scan as well as the normal full scan

Might be worth checking what version of Java you are using. It gets updated quite often ( every 2 -3 weeks ).
On my mac the browser refuses to load pages if your java is not at the latest version, big brother stuff but it kind of works and forces you to keep up.