Would you or would you not ...?

MaxBlake

Awhile back, I picked up a Nikon 18-140mm lens while buying a D7200 body. The camera is terrific, and the lens is proving its usefulness and versatility on various travel junkets. I dropped the telephoto recently while switching out lenses in the Grand Canyon; it didn't fall far, and it was protected by a pair of rubber sleeves that absorbed much of the shock. It seemed to be OK, and I switched it out a few minutes later and checked the photos that it registered; all were fine. But I noticed upon returning from the trip that there's a small crack on the casing that can been seen without magnification and that you can feel with a fingertip. The crack concerns me ... as a potential prelude to lens failure down the road, perhaps.

I did buy the lens/camera from one of the big online sellers, and I also purchased the extended replacement warranty. My question is this: Would you ask that the lens in its current state be replaced? Or would you simply continue to use it until (of if) it fails?

Thoughts?

Roy1961

Contributor
i would replace it while you have the chance, why wait for a potential failure that may or may not happen later on down the line, you will have this lens for a few years, in my opinion why take the chance.

weebee

You bought the extended warranty for a reason didn't you? If the warranty covers drops then by all means get it taken care of.

paul04

I have to agree with Roy, replace the lens,

It could draw dust in to the lens, and end up in the camera. You could sell the lens as damaged, to get a bit of money back on it.

nikonpup

get it replaced. Crack will let in dirt and moisture. Please post the results of your experience with the insurance company.

MaxBlake

I've certainly been leaning in that direction. The only thing that has given me pause to date is the fact that the lens seems to work just fine, with quality unaffected by the drop. I'll look into the return and keep you posted; thanks so much for the quick replies.

skene

Based on the warranty that you purchased, you may want to first look into it and see what would qualify you for getting a replacement. Some will only cover your basics in terms of they warranty defects that may occur from the lens itself, and others will cover spills and drops (ex. squaretrade).

Danno

I agree you should replace it. a crack in anything runs like a crack in glass. That was what the warranty was for.

"CHRIS"

What about duct tape? (Just throwing it up a flagpole, see if it sticks.:indecisiveness:)

I agree with Blacktop.............duct tape is phenomenal.
OR.......this
th

MaxBlake

The Flex Seal would be easier to color-coordinate with the rest of the lens, once it's applied. Thanks; that's a great suggestion. If all else fails ...

MaxBlake

You are all far too generous with your time ... and your timely suggestions. I thank you. An email has been sent to the folks who sell the warranties.

MaxBlake

Thus far the fiberglass resin, along with the Gorilla Glue (a modest application) and duct tape, has kept the lens working just fine.

Kidding aside, I've run a few days of test shots with the lens in question, and it continues to work just fine. I've also sent in some queries to Nikon warranty and have come away less than impressed, including getting any sort of acknowledgement that the lens would be replaced or even "repaired" if it were sent in on my dime. I find that odd, given the money spent, but it's their ball game and their ball park, I guess. It will make me rethink future purchases, especially when their "warranty" comes into play.

In the meantime, I bought a second 18-140 mm refurbished lens as a backup and will hold pat for now.