Woody's 2024 Photon Collection Project

Woodyg3

Contributor
AvocetFlight-752.jpg

Woodyg3

Contributor
It was cloudy and the sun was just about to peek over the horizon when I I watched this young owl get up the courage to jump from the nest to a large limb of the nest tree, then start climbing up with those powerful talons. For anyone who isn't familiar with owl terminology, this is called branching. He climbed a good way up the tree and found a good spot to perch. I expect that in the next few hours this little one will take its first flight.

OwlBranching-761.jpg

Needa

Challenge Team
It was cloudy and the sun was just about to peek over the horizon when I I watched this young owl get up the courage to jump from the nest to a large limb of the nest tree, then start climbing up with those powerful talons. For anyone who isn't familiar with owl terminology, this is called branching. He climbed a good way up the tree and found a good spot to perch. I expect that in the next few hours this little one will take its first flight.
So how long after that are they gone for good?

Woodyg3

Contributor
So how long after that are they gone for good?
They stay in the general area of the nest for a few days, at least. Mom and Dad feed them and watch over them for a while longer. I don't really know how many days/weeks before they leave the area and head out completely on their own. Once they fledge it's very hard to locate them.

Woodyg3

Contributor
Genetics: The first pic is of two owlets with their different coloration. The second is their parents. Mom, on top, has a lot of redish brown that especially shows up when she's wet. In contrast, Dad is very lightly colored. I thought it was pretty interesting the way the owlets are taking on the appearance of their parents.
OwlsDarkLight-768.jpg
OwlsPair-768.jpg