where is nikon heading?

J-see

In a way it never was different. Every family had their vacation/occasion cam and even after ten years of use, Uncle Bob still had a part of his head missing in the shots while Aunt Annie got no feet.

Today the only difference is that while Canon, Nikon etc made money on those cams in the past, now Apple, Samsung and such cash in on those. They always have that phone with them so the same goes for the cam.

PapaST

Nikon needs to add a feature that allows photographers to add their own meme to their photo then post it online straight from camera. ;)

That will save Nikon!

Seriously though, echoing what Woody said, I guess the DSLR crowd is like the vinyl record crowd vs the smartphone/MP3 crowd. We're a dying breed.

mikew_RIP

My young adult daughter is proof of that. It's more important to just capture the memory than it is to capture the image. When she wants a great image she comes to me, otherwise the phone/camera works great.

Perhaps not the right thing to say on a forum for purists :D but she is right,at the end of the day its the memory of the moment that counts,all the rest is a diversion that some of us choose to take to different degrees.

Katrina_Harkess

On the other hand, the phone generation virtually -all- are in the habit of taking photos. The experience will nurture an interest in photography in some of them, who will one day come looking for something better than their phone.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

On the other hand, the phone generation virtually -all- are in the habit of taking photos. The experience will nurture an interest in photography in some of them, who will one day come looking for something better than their phone.

Saw your low post count and figured I'd welcome you and your thoughts to Nikonites! Happy you're here!

rocketman122

Good topic, Rocketman. It's hard for someone like me, who has been shooting SLRs since I was a teenager (don't ask how long ago) to imagine that people are happy with their crummy little cell phone cameras. Just as I don't see how ear buds and an MP3 player are a reasonable replacement for a nice Hi-Fi system. I imagine Nikon makes a good deal more profit from their point and shoot cameras than from the DSLRs. I wonder if they can justify putting very much R&D money into the DSLR market any more?

cell phones are limited but you work with what you have. even for me its good enough in many cases. I even use it for pictures when im shooting the wedding. I see people at the weddings who just have no idea about photography. you can see by how they hold the phone and how they compose that a point and shoot would be too much for them. let them stay wiht the smartphone. people who appreciate good images and want the very best IQ will continue with dslr.

its not only about cameras though. im wondering how much of hit theyre taking with sigma and tamron delivering stellar alternatives to theirs. flashes that cost a 1/5 that are so good even pros use them (including me). and also grips and batteries. I just ordered a shanny SN600n flash and will try that out.after 4-5 weddings and im happy with it, ill order 3 more and sell my nikon flashes. I want to see 2 things. consitency with recycle and accuracy with ttl. btw Sb28 sold for $280, SB800 sold for $350, SB900 $500, now the 910 sells for $550. next flash $650.

btw, earbuds no but a nice OTE headphone and a nice amp sounds amazing.

My young adult daughter is proof of that. It's more important to just capture the memory than it is to capture the image. When she wants a great image she comes to me, otherwise the phone/camera works great.

well thats my mindset as well, for weddings. get the shot. IQ and art/creativity comes after. we strive for the aesthetics in the image but we must get the shot first.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

By the way....we're getting sidetracked.....this is about where Nikon is going. I think Nikon has to put things in perspective. Right now they can't even decide to put R & D into a decent FX mirrorless that is competitive with Sony's. They need to get their heads out of their butts and capture that exploding market. Not saying they should do that first....as @rocketman122 said, they need to expand their lens market for DX too. Nikon doesn't seem to know which direction to go to next.

Whiskeyman

I think that Nikon is headed back to the same situation that occurred in the film era, with declining sales slowing the introduction of new models to a fraction of what it is today. Whether or not they are joined by other manufacturers or not, I don't know. If not, they may really be done for.

I've heard several pros talk about Nikon's field service being so much less than Canon's, and that it contributes to Canon vastly overtaking Nikon in the most visible of professional situations. If Nikon were to improve that, it would be a good start to growing and keeping their users, as well as their regular customer service.

But another issue that has hurt Nikon's sales it the decline of the specialized camera shop, where the sales person really knew their offerings. Now, it is more likely price and celebrity marketing that have an impact upon sales than what the sales staff knows. They may have an opinion, based upon what they own, about what the cameras can do, but more than likely, they don't really know that much; the customer has to do their own research to really figure out what they want/need. To help this, Nikon could send company reps out to retailers more often for interaction with both sales staff and customers.

The bottom line is that Nikon needs to get more of the first-time DSLR buyer market and then encourage brand loyalty through better accessory (including lenses) offerings and customer service.

WM

PS Edit, As far as Nikon USA is concerned, they need some serious work. I just visited their site and they are offering 10% off refurbished items. Ok, great. So how much is their offering on the D750? $2099.96!!!! Exactly $103.01 more than retail outlets are advertising a brand new D750 for. There is absolutely no excuse for this, and I fear it is indicative of how detached the components of the company are from one another.

Last edited:

Woodyg3

Contributor
I agree that Nikon reps should be getting out to the stores, The Tamron reps are at our big, local camera store often. They give clinics and let people field test the lenses. Lots of Tamron glass gets sold at that store!

RON_RIP

To me, the key is 100% customer satisfaction and having the absolute best customer service in the business. And of course that means more reps in the field interacting with customers and retailers. They should be monitoring sites like this and be available to help customers with any important issues that can arise.
Let's face it. There is the best; and there's all the rest. if they do not strive to serve their customer base above and beyond that of their competitors, they will some day begone.

Byram Lass

I agree that Nikon reps should be getting out to the stores, The Tamron reps are at our big, local camera store often. They give clinics and let people field test the lenses. Lots of Tamron glass gets sold at that store!

There's still a major camera store in your area? As far s I know there's only one store in the entire Houston area.

Fortkentdad

Or not - I was at a recent camera show hosted by a shop in Edmonton. Nikon, Tamron, Sigma, Canon et al were there with displays and reps selling their gear. I went to the Nikon room (they rated a room to themselves - Sigma, Tamron and other shared a room, yes Canon got their own room, as did Pentax but that was a small room). But room size aside the Nikon reps were not at all friendly and I was totally put out by the way they spoke to me. It's not like I was rude. I had a D610 around my neck so they knew I was 'one of theirs" (maybe they only like the D800 and up group?). Anyway I was looking for a new lens and left with a Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC.

Price was certainly a big factor - but price vs performance is what they need to sell. And they need to learn to do it nicely.

But one encounter does not a business culture make.

rocketman122

Or not - I was at a recent camera show hosted by a shop in Edmonton. Nikon, Tamron, Sigma, Canon et al were there with displays and reps selling their gear. I went to the Nikon room (they rated a room to themselves - Sigma, Tamron and other shared a room, yes Canon got their own room, as did Pentax but that was a small room). But room size aside the Nikon reps were not at all friendly and I was totally put out by the way they spoke to me. It's not like I was rude. I had a D610 around my neck so they knew I was 'one of theirs" (maybe they only like the D800 and up group?). Anyway I was looking for a new lens and left with a Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC.

Price was certainly a big factor - but price vs performance is what they need to sell. And they need to learn to do it nicely.

why? whatd they say? did they have a superiority attitude, or condescending in tone?

they cant sell price performance because theyre selling at crazy prices. theres a huge price difference between them and the 3rd party crew. the price performance ratio is bad.

nikon 24-70 AFS sells for $1900
tamron 24-70 VC sells for $1300
the nikon is not $600 better. maybe $200. especially not with that stiff zoom ring and no VC

nikon 70-200 VR2 $2400
tamron 70-200 VC $1400
here its even more substantial. $1000 difference.

lets not even start with the ART lenses. there is no compromise buying an art lens at all. its completely win win win. price/build/performance

they sell a brand with history and a status (in their eyes) but I see nikon as a tarnished brand. not what it was in my eyes. I do not look to them with respect like I once did. I think they crossed the line with the way they act to their veteran loyal buyers.

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

why? whatd they say? did they have a superiority attitude, or condescending in tone?

they cant sell price performance because theyre selling at crazy prices. theres a huge price difference between them and the 3rd party crew. the price performance ratio is bad.

nikon 24-70 AFS sells for $1900
tamron 24-70 VC sells for $1300
the nikon is not $600 better. maybe $200. especially not with that stiff zoom ring and no VC

nikon 70-200 VR2 $2400
tamron 70-200 VC $1400
here its even more substantial. $1000 difference.

lets not even start with the ART lenses. there is no compromise buying an art lens at all. its completely win win win. price/build/performance

they sell a brand with history and a status (in their eyes) but I see nikon as a tarnished brand. not what it was in my eyes. I do not look to them with respect like I once did. I think they crossed the line with the way they act to their veteran loyal buyers.

Twice within the past year there has been a Nikon rep at a local camera store when I've stopped by. He was quite friendly and very helpful with answering questions. Perhaps the problem is that the Nikon reps in Fortkentdad's post felt threatened by competing against the lower prices of other manufacturers.

When it comes to selling an expensive item, a salesperson cannot sell based on price. The salesperson needs to sell the benefits and features of the products. Sounds like those Nikon reps need better sales training as well as needing to brush up on their customer service. Very sad to hear about Fortkentdad's experience with them. The Nikon rep I saw was enthusiastic and confident about his products, and it showed.

Fortkentdad

Twice within the past year there has been a Nikon rep at a local camera store when I've stopped by. He was quite friendly and very helpful with answering questions. Perhaps the problem is that the Nikon reps in Fortkentdad's post felt threatened by competing against the lower prices of other manufacturers.

When it comes to selling an expensive item, a salesperson cannot sell based on price. The salesperson needs to sell the benefits and features of the products. Sounds like those Nikon reps need better sales training as well as needing to brush up on their customer service. Very sad to hear about Fortkentdad's experience with them. The Nikon rep I saw was enthusiastic and confident about his products, and it showed.

I'm sure that there are absolutely great Nikon reps. I just have not been to many events and this is my one and only live encounter with a Nikon rep. First impression was not great.

People do pay more when they believe it is warranted - either for a better product or in some cases for the status of the brand.

We were tire kicking recently and stopped at a Volvo dealer, encountered a very nice salesman who did not try and sell us on the price of their fine automobiles. And while Dodge certainly had the price advantage my wife really wanted to buy the Volvo, their salesman had sold her. (BTW in the end we decided to repair and keep our 2007 vehicle a little longer - had we bought the Volvo I could not afford any new camera gear for a long time).

When it comes to lenses I'm not sure what Nikon can do about their price structure but if they do nothing I may not be buying a new Nikon lens for a while. I see myself getting a 70-200 2.8 next. Tamron leads the pack right now. I do have the original Nikon VR1 version on my list - I did see one still for sale new - but it was still $100 more than the Tamron. But given I've bought two Tamron's in the past six weeks I'm going to have to wait before adding another lens to my collection. I'm also lusting after the new Tamron 15-30mm VC lens. And one of this big honking xxx-600mm lenses in on my wishlist. And yes those Sigma Artsy ones look great, came very close to getting their 24-105mm one. I'm afraid right now the only Nikkor that could find its way into my kit-bag would be a good used one.

Last edited:

AC016

They have hit a wall in regards to coming out with "new" DSLRs. They need to come out with a whole new body, one that does not come with a mirror, hint hint. I'm not saying that a mirrorless camera is the silver bullet to their problems, but they need to do something other then another boring DSLR that has very incremental "changes". Either that or they become like Leica and continually bring out the same camera, but in "special" editions, lol. Anyone want a Lenny Kravitz camera that has been brassed for you?

skater

I'm going to throw out there that I think Nikon has too many DSLR camera lines going. Think about it:

D3300
D5500
D7200
D610
D750
D810
Df
D4

Do they REALLY need 8 different lines? And it's even worse than that, because the D7100 is still in production, I think, even though the D7200 is out. It just adds to the "DSLRs are confusing", because even buying one is a mess. As a D7000 owner, for example, I'm not sure which full frame camera would be the logical jump for me (note, I'm not planning to make that jump any time soon), because there are too many options that don't seem to have major differences.