What is the best companion camera to a D610 for a beginner?

Mister Bumbles

Good morning gents! It's 5 am and I can't sleep any more for the moment, apparently 4 hours of sleep was all I get tonight, so I figured I'd drop a quick reply.
First, thanks for all the superb information! It is giving me a lot to think on!

Second, as to the type of photography I personally like to do. I tend to be drawn to nature and landscape. And on the opposite end, macro photography.

A few examples...

14161667851_5b9aa7d408_b.jpg 10633358713_fa55f88c83_b.jpg
9793762123_ef03a7bd1e_b.jpg 4695125207_70ea88a242_b.jpg
4649466590_eb17cfc579_b.jpg 7377038076_545ab44232_b.jpg
3623580541_ddf8d9caae_b.jpg 2560574020_7af2318d86_b.jpg
4648848315_404000c7d1_b.jpg 8165581675_c0f9d41752_k.jpg
4549667553_91493639a8_o.jpg

Well... you get the idea. I love the outdoors. Even though I'm currently disabled due to multiple knee and back injuries and am unable to stand/walk for more than 10/15 minutes, I still manage to get these photographs. I'm using photography as a way to deal with the pain that my doctors tell me will *never* go away. I choose to live with the pain instead of taking the massive doses of pain killers they want me to be on. I kinda screwed up my body. 3 dislocated knees, 7 concussions, torn hip flexor, broke both feet, broken wrist, broken jaw, fallen from heights between 10-15 feet and landed on my neck / back several times, and that's just a few of them! I just used to play and work to hard I guess. *chuckle*. In the end, I've ended up with degenerative arthritis of the spine and knees and suffer from neuropathy pretty much consantly.

At some point, I want to have my photos turned into large-sized prints, that's *one* of the reasons I wanted a full frame sensor, aside from the many other benefits like low light capabilities. Most of my photos are taken using a tripod anyway, so I'm not too worried about the high-speed issues some have mentioned.

Also, it's one of the reasons why I am being so picky. I only get $878 a month for disability. After I pay all my bills, I save the little bits left over for this project. So it's taken time to save up to buy this equipment. It's not like I'll be buying a ton more equipment in the future, just a couple nice lenses over time. That's why I can't buy an APS-C unit and then just "upgrade" later as some have suggested. I have to make one choice and *stick with it* for a number of years, you know?

As some have said, you CAN get beautiful pictures with an aps-c sensor, I fully realize that, since it's what I've been using. But aps-c sensors also have limitations that a FF sensor doesn't have. Print-size is limited from aps-c. Low light abilities are somewhat neutered on aps-c as well. Pretty much *most* of the newer units are going to be better than my Canon 40D, but I'm also planning on having just the one camera for myself for at least 7 years if not more.

It's like when I buy a computer. I buy or build *one* system that is capable of handling all my needs for at least 5-6 years. I'm not stingy with my money, I just personally have never seen the point of upgrading repeatedly. Buy one nice item, take care of it and make it last until it's no longer relevant. :)

Mister Bumbles

Also, realizing I may have asked the wrong question to start this thread with. The companion camera is not for me. It's for my fiance / better half!

A better question should have been..... which lower-cost camera would be best for a beginner that has a matching button / menu / layout to the D610 so that we can learn the Nikon system together with the least amount of confusion possible? Maybe that will clear up some of the confusion. I'm not planning to raid his DX lenses for my own use unless an emergency came up or he manages to snag the particular FX lens I wanted to use at the moment. :D

The suggestion of the D7000 / D7100 has come up, so I'm looking into pricing on those as well.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Also, realizing I may have asked the wrong question to start this thread with. The companion camera is not for me. It's for my fiance / better half!

A better question should have been..... which lower-cost camera would be best for a beginner that has a matching button / menu / layout to the D610 so that we can learn the Nikon system together with the least amount of confusion possible? Maybe that will clear up some of the confusion. I'm not planning to raid his DX lenses for my own use unless an emergency came up or he manages to snag the particular FX lens I wanted to use at the moment. :D

The suggestion of the D7000 / D7100 has come up, so I'm looking into pricing on those as well.

If you're looking at DX and FX button compatibility, the 600/610 matched with the 7000/7100 would give you exact same button placement (except for the + & - buttons that have switched places 7000/600). You probably could get why 610 with 24-120 or even 24-85 and 7100 with 18-140 and you both would have very nice combination.

Mister Bumbles

If you're looking at DX and FX button compatibility, the 600/610 matched with the 7000/7100 would give you exact same button placement (except for the + & - buttons that have switched places 7000/600). You probably could get why 610 with 24-120 or even 24-85 and 7100 with 18-140 and you both would have very nice combination.

Hm.. the 7000 looks to be right in the price range he wants to spend too, it might just be perfect for him. Excellent, thanks! :)

Mister Bumbles

The D7000 is an excellent camera. My wife shoots one and loves it. It was what I shot before I got my D7100.

So as I was digging around the internet last night, I stumbled across Best Buy's new Black Friday 2014 advertisement. The Nikon D7000 + the Nikon 18-140mm VR set will be on sale for $799.99. That seems like a pretty decent bargain if my research on normal prices are correct. The 18-140 normally sells around $496 (new) and the D7000 sells for about $600. It's a new U.S. model with full warranty, not grey market, so that seems.. good.

d7000.jpg

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
So as I was digging around the internet last night, I stumbled across Best Buy's new Black Friday 2014 advertisement. The Nikon D7000 + the Nikon 18-140mm VR set will be on sale for $799.99. That seems like a pretty decent bargain if my research on normal prices are correct. The 18-140 normally sells around $496 (new) and the D7000 sells for about $600. It's a new U.S. model with full warranty, not grey market, so that seems.. good.

View attachment 123948
That is simply a fantastic bargain.

BackdoorArts

It's four year old technology, but for a beginner who might get serious I think this is almost a no brainer. You'll have to limit yourself to ISO 1600 because after that it's just too noisy, but under that it's a great camera. And you get a high end consumer class body, so there aren't any features that you'll regret not getting. Even if you don't use them, you can grow into them.

RON_RIP

:pI love no-brainers. So much of this is just so hard to wrap your brain around that a no-brainer is like an oasis in the desert.

Mister Bumbles

It's four year old technology, but for a beginner who might get serious I think this is almost a no brainer. You'll have to limit yourself to ISO 1600 because after that it's just too noisy, but under that it's a great camera. And you get a high end consumer class body, so there aren't any features that you'll regret not getting. Even if you don't use them, you can grow into them.

When I bought my Canon 40D.. 7 years ago, it was pretty high-end at the time. There weren't that many steps from it to the Canon 5D. And the highest ISO you really wanted to go was like.. 800 which was still pretty bad in itself. So I limited almost all of my photographs for the past 7 years between iso 100-400 (just liked when I used film). So I've been running around with a Tripod a LOT. But you know, in the end it was worth it. It forced to think about my compositions a bit more and I ended up with some pretty stunning photos (in *my* opinion and I know they vary)!

So, the 7000 should be plenty of camera for him. Lots to use as a beginner and a few things to tinker with that require more thought.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
If you are considering the D610, take a look at Nikon's holiday savings. ;) You can pair up the body ($1596.95) with lenses for an even greater savings. Seriously...these are really good prices! After clicking on the link, click on the tab for the D610 and take a look at which lenses are included. Many choices from which to choose.

Nikon Buy Together And Save

Mister Bumbles

If you are considering the D610, take a look at Nikon's holiday savings. ;) You can pair up the body ($1596.95) with lenses for an even greater savings. Seriously...these are really good prices! After clicking on the link, click on the tab for the D610 and take a look at which lenses are included. Many choices from which to choose.

Nikon Buy Together And Save

Oo.. you are GOOD. So the D610 dropped another $100 (bonus!) and the other savings are nice too! On the third of this month it was $1696. :)

I *just* got a call from a lady that is going to buy an item I had on Craigslist, so that adds another $340 to my camera fund. By end of today I'll have $2340 to spend. Of course, after I spend it I'm going to panic a little. I haven't spent that much money on anything (except my van) in yeaaaaaars. Ah well!

The nice part is, with the current holiday sale bundle.. I'd be able to get...

• Nikon D610 Body
  • Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Lens
  • Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR Lens

And the free items include...

• Rugged Commando 36 DSLR Shoulder Bag
  • Watson EN-EL15 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack
  • SanDisk 16GB Ultra UHS-I SDHC Memory Card (Class 10)
  • Vello Freewave Plus Wireless Remote Shutter Release - 2.4 GHz

And it would only come to $2140. I was considering adding on the $188 2-year "Drop & Spill" warranty for the body.. anyone have any experience with the Square Trade warranty offered by B&H?

Thing is, I'd have to buy it before the sale ends, and then HOPE that there isn't a better deal popping up for Black Friday the following week. Hmm.... wonder if B&H does "price guarantees" ?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Thing is, I'd have to buy it before the sale ends, and then HOPE that there isn't a better deal popping up for Black Friday the following week. Hmm.... wonder if B&H does "price guarantees" ?

I highly doubt you will find a better price for the new camera/lens combos. Nikon tends to set their sale prices, and they only offer sales once or twice per year. Most likely this is their holiday sale price (which may get extended until close to Christmas). Honestly, these are the best prices and combos that I've seen.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

View attachment 123948

Does this kit come with a bag? If not, I believe I have a choice of two bags if you are interested. When I bought my D600, it came with a free Lowepro Adventura 170 bag.

652570.jpg

I tried to put some things in it but decided it wasn't large enough. I may have removed the tags (not sure) but never took it out of the house. The other bag is brand new--pretty sure it even has the tags. It is the Commando bag you mentioned earlier. It came as a freebie with my D610. I will look for both and will take an obligatory photo. If you want one, you can have your choice. I will even spring for the shipping. Due to the problem I had with my D600 (Nikon reimbursed me for it), I wound up getting extra freebies as a result. I told B&H I'd pay it forward. There won't be any cost to you if you choose to accept. Oh...and if you want one of the bags, each camera came with an aftermarket battery. One is Watson like the D610 package comes with and the other is Pearstone EN-EL15 which is no longer offered (never used either one as I already had an extra Nikon battery, and both have been sitting around with the other freebie items I haven't used). You can let me know which one you'd like to have if you want one.

Let me check, and I'll be back later to post a photo containing these items. ;)

Mister Bumbles

Does this kit come with a bag? If not, I believe I have a choice of two bags if you are interested. When I bought my D600, it came with a free Lowepro Adventura 170 bag.

I tried to put some things in it but decided it wasn't large enough. I may have removed the tags (not sure) but never took it out of the house. The other bag is brand new--pretty sure it even has the tags. It is the Commando bag you mentioned earlier. It came as a freebie with my D610. I will look for both and will take an obligatory photo. If you want one, you can have your choice. I will even spring for the shipping. Due to the problem I had with my D600 (Nikon reimbursed me for it), I wound up getting extra freebies as a result. I told B&H I'd pay it forward. There won't be any cost to you if you choose to accept. Oh...and if you want one of the bags, each camera came with an aftermarket battery. One is Watson like the D610 package comes with and the other is Pearstone EN-EL15 which is no longer offered (never used either one as I already had an extra Nikon battery, and both have been sitting around with the other freebie items I haven't used). You can let me know which one you'd like to have if you want one.

Let me check, and I'll be back later to post a photo containing these items. ;)

Well THANK YOU so much! I tell you, the Nikon forums are so much friendly than other forums I have been on in the past. :)
I showed James the two bags, and he thinks that the Lowepro Adventura 170 would fit his needs better (and he thinks it looks like it's better made). I had a Lowepro Slingshot 100 All-weather that I used before and even after 7 years it was still like new. As for the batteries, I've heard really excellent things about the Watson EN-EL15 battery, so, that would be my choice.

And again, thank you so much :)

;)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Well THANK YOU so much! I tell you, the Nikon forums are so much friendly than other forums I have been on in the past. :)
I showed James the two bags, and he thinks that the Lowepro Adventura 170 would fit his needs better (and he thinks it looks like it's better made). I had a Lowepro Slingshot 100 All-weather that I used before and even after 7 years it was still like new. As for the batteries, I've heard really excellent things about the Watson EN-EL15 battery, so, that would be my choice.

And again, thank you so much :)

;)

Mr. Bumbles, here are some photos so you can see the items. When I pulled out the Lowepro bag, there is a small slightly lightened spot on the outside of the bag. It's been sitting near a window for 18 months so obviously something made the color lighten a little. So...I am going to send both bags to you. You can keep both or sell one--whatever you choose to do as I was going to give them both away anyway. It's a long story with how I came about getting two bags from B&H--however, both are new. And on top of that, when B&H sent me the D610, they accidentally included 2 Watson batteries instead of 1. I forgot all about that. So I will send you two Watson batteries. ;) Both of them are new, too.

And the Commando bag is still sealed in the plastic so I didn't take it out. Here are some photos:

003 edit.jpg

Below is the bottom of the Commando bag showing the item number:

006 edit 1.jpg

Next up is the Lowepro bag. Never used...just tried putting my body and lens into it then decided it was too small:

008 edit.jpg

Here is a shot of the slight discoloration:

006 edit.jpg

And lastly here are the batteries. I will send you the two Watson batteries and will hold onto the Pearstone:

015 edit.jpg

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Mr. Bumbles, I forgot to mention to please PM me the address where you want the box sent. You can have your option of either the US Postal service or UPS. I will PM you the tracking info once it gets sent.