wedding advice

kantonini

I'm taking pictures this weekend for a friends wedding. I have a D5100 with the kit lens (18-55mm) and a 55-200mm lens. I also have a SB-400 flash. The ceremony is outside and reception is inside. What would be recommended combo's as far as lens/flash I should use for each of the 2 scenarios? I shot a cousin's wedding and everything was indoors. I noticed when I used my 55-200mm and zoomed my pictures were a little grainy... is that because my flash isn't strong enough. I normally shoot in Automatic, but venture a little sometimes with the Aperture priority controls. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Scott Murray

I would say use the 55-200mm outside and the 18-55mm inside, but really it all depends on the shot you are after. Are they going to be candid shots? Is there going to be a professional wedding photographer? What shots would they like/want?

I am pretty sure others can give you better information. I have only done a few weddings and they have too been for family members.

The graininess would most likely be due to high ISO.

AC016

Yes, your flash is certainly not strong enough to illuminate someone who is far away from you. It will get grainy because the camera will move up to a higher ISO. If i wear you, i would stick with the 18-55 when indoors and low light. I am no wedding photog and i rarely use my flash indoors or out - never outside during the day actually. You certainly don't want to be right up in peoples face with the camera and flash. 55-75mm should be sufficient in terms of max focal length. Keep the 200mm for outside if it is not bright indoors. Again, i have never photographed a wedding and i am no flash guru either. Good luck

§am

Don't do it - run as fast as you can...
Oh hold on, you're talking about taking pictures, not actually getting married :p

I'm no expert but would say it depends how close you can or want to get to your subjects, and also how many family members you need to fit into the picture too.
A wide angle 18mm might be needed for the bigger family portraits, or you could get up close and personal using your 55-200 from a reasonable distance.

The SB400 will be good on closer shots, but for the longer distance ones, I think you'll have to rely more on the natural (or artificial) light already present indoors.
I made the mistake of not accounting for shadows from the flash on a few pictures, but also worth noting that if you can, then bounce the flash - there will no doubt be a myriad of point and shooters there too, and I found often indoors, the flash from those cameras can throw one of your good shots out the window :(

fotojack

I've shot several weddings using these lenses: 18-55...18-105...55-300. For the flash, I use an SB-700. All weddings were shot both indoors and out. For all outdoor shots, I use a tripod and a 110cm reflector disc for added light control. Indoors, the SB-700 is fitted with a difuser to soften the light. Hope this helps.

kantonini

I would say use the 55-200mm outside and the 18-55mm inside, but really it all depends on the shot you are after. Are they going to be candid shots? Is there going to be a professional wedding photographer? What shots would they like/want?

I am pretty sure others can give you better information. I have only done a few weddings and they have too been for family members.

The graininess would most likely be due to high ISO.

Some candid, some posed. There is no pro photog, just me! They didn't really give me specifics as to what they wanted... kind of leaving everything up to me! Thanks for the tips!

fotojack

These should get you started and answer most of the questions running through your mind. :)
Here's a real good tip for you when doing your first wedding: DON'T BE NERVOUS! At least, don't show it. :) Try to look and act professional at all times. And put the wedding couple at ease....it really helps to dispel any thoughts of uneasiness they might have about your ability to actually pull this off. :)

Wedding Photography – 21 Tips for Amateur Wedding Photographers

How to Shoot Wedding Photography - YouTube

How to shoot a wedding - Lesson 1

kantonini

these should get you started and answer most of the questions running through your mind. :)
here's a real good tip for you when doing your first wedding: Don't be nervous! At least, don't show it. :) try to look and act professional at all times. And put the wedding couple at ease....it really helps to dispel any thoughts of uneasiness they might have about your ability to actually pull this off. :)

wedding photography – 21 tips for amateur wedding photographers

how to shoot wedding photography - youtube

how to shoot a wedding - lesson 1

thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Patrick M

If you're indoors, switch to a faster prime, 35mm should be enough but get a 50mm if you have the cash, and the SB400 should easily be good enough..l.but DO NOT USE AUTO ... Switch to A or P. prepare your shot and with the focus set (ie 1/2 depress the button) take a note of what settings the camera used. Go to manual, enter the camera settings, then try stopping up a notch, and play around... You'll be amazed that you could light up a whole room ... When in auto the backdrop might be dark.

Outdoors is another matter, I doubt the SB400 will be powerful enough for the group photos that you'll need.

Patrick
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Manna69247

Hi kantonini,

I'm kind of in the same boat as you were a while ago. How did your wedding shoot go? Anything you've learn which you can share with another wedding noob will be appreciated?

I know what I can do with my camera and that is why I get these wedding requests I previously just passed on. I usually just say I don't do weddings... Mainly I need self confidence and should possibly assist on a few weddings first.

Manna