Want to take a macro then this is the thread.

ShallowShannon

Something that has helped me when trying to get pinpoint focus on stationary subjects is a macro slide rail. I've got the Manfrotto version
and its been very handy. There are less expensive ones out there but I chose this one because I have a Manfrotto tripod and they seem to make a good product.
On the side of the slide are hash marks in 1mm increments that help you see how far you are moving the camera in or out.
This thing would probably be completely useless if your subject moves around at all, but it works wonders (for me anyhow) when trying to do things like this.

Much easier for me to turn a small knob to get the focus to move a .5 mm than it is to turn the focus ring or move the tripod.

For this shot I used an old Promaster flash with an 8" x 12" Pocket Box diffuser attached to it. I have a remote for the flash and I have the option to
mount it to a spare tripod if I need to.

Now I just need to learn how to properly use it :D

Scott Murray

Well after seeing [MENTION=11881]Moab Man[/MENTION] getting into the Tamron 90mm and Raynox DCR-250 I thought I would go out and try my hand at macro as it has been awhile. Luckily for me I found a few bugs.

With insect macro I have found you get to a spot and wait a minute or two, as just you walking up to a bush scares most insects/spiders, normally within a few minutes they will start re-appearing. This is a close up of a dragonfly that allowed me to get really close to it.

So be patient and let the insect gain your trust.

Will post more in my Random thread.

Untitled by Scott H Murray, on Flickr

Last edited:

Elliot87

I've had a macro lens for all of a few days now and wouldn't say I have a macro setup. Just my D3200 and a Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AIS micro.
No metering, no TTL flash metering and manual focus. I like the idea of using the built in flash and a homemade foam diffuser but can't see how I'd attach one to this particular lens.

Here is a shot I took earlier simply using a sheet of A4 paper held up in front of the flash. Unedited first then an attempt at post processed.

DSC_0019.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Any advice and pointers would be greatly appreciated.

aroy

Here are a few shots taken with 105mm F2.8 AIS, with SB800 at 1/2 power. With D3300 every thing is manual with AIS lenses - Focus, Exposure, Flash, same as in my first SLR.

FSC_7486.jpg

FSC_7477.jpg

FSC_7484.jpg

Last edited:

aroy

My 105mm AIS lens has become a fixed focus lens as the helicoid is extremely tight, so I have set it for maximum magnification. Today I tried to open it up. Did not succeed, but found a few adjustment screws for setting correct magnification. Set them up for maximum magnifications and got 1:1.12!

FSC_7550.jpg
The scale shows about 21mm, the sensor is 23.5mm, so magnification is 1.12.

Scott Murray

I've had a macro lens for all of a few days now and wouldn't say I have a macro setup. Just my D3200 and a Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AIS micro.
No metering, no TTL flash metering and manual focus. I like the idea of using the built in flash and a homemade foam diffuser but can't see how I'd attach one to this particular lens.

Here is a shot I took earlier simply using a sheet of A4 paper held up in front of the flash. Unedited first then an attempt at post processed.

View attachment 147915

View attachment 147916

Any advice and pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Not bad, try holding the paper angled over the object. Also do you have any rings etc or filters that can screw on to the lens? If so just stick the foam to a piece of clear plastic which will have a hole cut into it so that it fits over the thread of the filter/ring and can be tightened in between those and the lens. This is what I have done for a long time.

Elliot87

Not bad, try holding the paper angled over the object. Also do you have any rings etc or filters that can screw on to the lens? If so just stick the foam to a piece of clear plastic which will have a hole cut into it so that it fits over the thread of the filter/ring and can be tightened in between those and the lens. This is what I have done for a long time.

I don't have anything like that just yet but I will look into getting a UV filter or something similar for that purpose.
Using anything other than natural light is all new to me. Not sure if it's just because I've not got my head around it yet but using artificial lighting seems like a more difficult skill to master than the general basics of photography. I'm sure I'll get there eventually just got plenty to learn.

Elliot87

Found a dead fly to practice on. This time with extension tubes attached to the 55mm. I think I might get addicted to macro photography, gives a whole new perspective on things which is fascinating.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Elliot87

I'm inspired by this little lens, I know it has the potential to take some super sharp macro shots. Hoping that with a better flash set up and some practice I'll start seeing improvements.

SkvLTD

I'm starting to scratch my head as well regarding lighting. Less lazy approach would be WJ-60 LED ring I have from Yongnuo, but not sure it pure bright constant light might spook the little things. As far as flashes, perhaps some sort of rig to bring them off camera and use commander to trigger could work, but that setup will be a real gimmick to make.

Scott Murray

I'm starting to scratch my head as well regarding lighting. Less lazy approach would be WJ-60 LED ring I have from Yongnuo, but not sure it pure bright constant light might spook the little things. As far as flashes, perhaps some sort of rig to bring them off camera and use commander to trigger could work, but that setup will be a real gimmick to make.
I have tried an LED light ring, it is good for finding things in the dark but no good for a lighting source. You need the power of a flash. I am really surprised people are finding lighting hard. Any onboard flash is usable and you can experiment with different things like I have. Also think of the lighting like a portrait shoot and where if at all do you want shadows etc. That will dictate what set up you use. Most of my images up until very recently was using my onboard flash and a foam diffuser.

Elliot87

If I hadn't seen the results you've got with that set up Scott I'd be itching to buy a flash, or LED ring etc. but I'm going to save my money until I've given it a go with some foam and the onboard flash. Problem is I've got no foam...

Scott Murray

If I hadn't seen the results you've got with that set up Scott I'd be itching to buy a flash, or LED ring etc. but I'm going to save my money until I've given it a go with some foam and the onboard flash. Problem is I've got no foam...
You can try with something else. Anything that's white and can diffuse the light into a nice soft even light.

Elliot87

I plan on trying out a plastic milk bottle but my wife keeps throwing them out before I get to them. I've got 3 days off to come up with something. Might actually have some sunshine and warm weather, so the bugs could be out and about. Just having a dead fly to shoot isn't very inspiring!

SkvLTD

But you know, like with portraits, why on-board when I've 910, yn568, 2 flashbenders, and plenty of bolts and PVC pipes, haha. It's the gut feeling of trying to play w/ something really new and fancy since it has a greater potential than stock. Another thought is to perhaps try to rig tubes/corridors out of tin foil or the like on the inside to bring all that light from hotshoe flash out towards the front of the lens. Sounds gimmicky, but might be an interesting attempt.

Scott Murray

But you know, like with portraits, why on-board when I've 910, yn568, 2 flashbenders, and plenty of bolts and PVC pipes, haha. It's the gut feeling of trying to play w/ something really new and fancy since it has a greater potential than stock. Another thought is to perhaps try to rig tubes/corridors out of tin foil or the like on the inside to bring all that light from hotshoe flash out towards the front of the lens. Sounds gimmicky, but might be an interesting attempt.
I am just using a single SB-910 with Luminox diffuser on the hot shoe which is working great for me. Why not try something like that?

wev

Contributor
I have posted this elsewhere last year. This is built from an 89¢ bottle of witch hazel, a tongue depressor, some tuck tape, and a rubber band. I use it nearly every day, except when I need finer control and switch to my SB700

Diffuser.jpg

Diffuser2.jpg

Diffuser4.jpg

Taken a few minutes ago

Wasp.jpg

aroy

The onboard flash is good, but with longer and at times fatter lens bodies, it is too low and cuts off half the image. So an external flash mounted on the hot shoe works much better. With my AIS lens at f/44 I need all the flash power available and the SB-800 has at least three times the power of my onboard flash.