Very Stable Tripod Recommendations

Roy1961

one time when my lens was at full stretch it caught the wind, but on that occasion i stood behind the car, like HF said i have hung my bag on my center column hook and the wind never affected my pictures.

Thumper_6119

Contributor
I just bought this tripod:
Amazon.com : Manfrotto MT055CXPRO4 055 Carbon Fiber 4-Section Tripod with Horizontal Column (Black) : Camera & Photo

With this head:
Amazon.com : Manfrotto MHXPRO3W X-PRO 3-Way Head with Retractable Levers and Friction Controls (Black) : Camera & Photo

VERY pleased. Nice to have a proper tripod finally. My other one was okay, but it wasn't very stable. It would vibrate a little from the action of the camera, and I botched some shots during the last blood moon. This new one is solid as a rock.

pedroj

Dumb Newbie question regarding hanging weights from the tripod ... in windy conditions, does the wind "rock" the weight, causing some shake?

Wind can be a problem and the sand bag does help...I use the D300 & 300mm F4 usually and the Bigma 80-500mm occasionally...

skene

It definitely is a hard thing trying to compensate budget and equipment safety. I think for the most part you should up your budget to make sure you get a good strong sturdy tripod with ballhead. This will save you the headache of purchasing a budget tripod and avoiding a possible accident.

However like most have already recommended here the Manfrotto is a very nice brand, as well as the Vangard Alta. Why do you not just go down to your local photo store to check out some of their offerings. See how it physically stacks up. While it's more difficult going on random brands that people suggest, sometimes you need to put the item in your hands to see what it would really be like.

Rock Daddeo

>>Why do you not just go down to your local photo store<<

I live in Ridgecrest CA. Nearest city with a decent camera store is LA about 3 hours drive. Whether I visit camera stores or shop eBay, I always prefer to ask for advice from other photographers before I do any shopping. Your advice is free and without obligation:redface-new:

gqtuazon

Gear Head
Would very much like to research sturdy tripods (with head) that can easily handle my D800 + Tamron 70-300 (my max load).

Don't care about the age or overall tripod weight, I usually drive to my outdoor destinations.

A used eBay unit is preferred - just don't know the best models. Price no more than $200.

It's usually windy, dusty and dry where I shoot nighttime time-lapse, so "sturdy" and "durable" are the key words.

Care to share your experience or suggestions?

$200 is just a little too low for a decent tripod and ballhead that can deliver the performance that you are expecting especially when mounting an expensive D800 plus lens.

$500 tripod will be more realistic based on what you are asking.

My Arca Swiss Z1 ball head alone is around $390.

aroy

I still think that if weight and bulk is not a major consideration, a Berlebach wooden tripod with a sturdy ball head is the way to go. Carbon fibre offers major weight advantage but at a steep cost. As pointed out $200 is too low. Budget for at least $350 for the wooden tripod and another $500 for the head and quick release plate.

Be sure to calculate the maximum weight of your equipment (present and future) including the ball head and extra battery grip. Then multiply it by 2 to 2.5 rimes to include a factor of safety; especially if you want to mount the camera off centre; and then get the tripod. Many a photographer has gone through a series of tripods, starting with an inexpensive one and finally after a few hits and misses to an appropriate one.

Whiskeyman

Not to derail the original topic, but how hard is it to replace/swap the head on the Bogen Manfrotto? I bought mine a few decades ago, but would prefer a head with locking plates rather than the head that's on there now. That might also open up some options for the OP if shopping used...

It is very easy on mine, a model 3020. Three screws mount the head to the center column plate. I can change mine out in about ten minutes, and that includes looking for the right size screwdriver in the garage, and putting it back afterwards!!