Used memory card, New Nikon

Blade Canyon

I used to believe all this stuff, but in reality I move memory cards between Nikon DSLRS and Sony compact still and video cameras all the time. I never reformat cards, though I almost always transfer the files off the card to my PC the same day. When a card gets junky with too many camera folders or too many of Sony's little info files for video, I use Windows to delete what I don't want.

lucien

thank you, but we didn't know that. He did plug the camera into the computer, aka interface. And he said he could only see the pics he took before. It might be something to do with the age of the cams. d50-d5000. Or he doesn't know what he's talking about. Firmware etc. He tried the direct method, which would be plugged in. And it didn't work. This is all I'm going to say about this. I'm not hijacking someone's thread. And in the end it got sorted.

Thanks, Blade C, that was my initial thinking when I swapped the card and gave it back to him at the end. Then he told me otherwise. :rolleyes:

lucien

no, not if it's going to be in the same Cam. Aka model. If other model/nikon, how would it hurt you? Once a year is ancient advice. But don't take my word. Why gamble, upload all the files. Then reformat the card. Other's have been saving that. IE, why would you want your card to have fuji, oly, canon, using the same file system on 1 card. That is a recipe for trouble. Get files format in cam, current cam

Last edited:

ryanwphoto

Definitely transfer the photos off the card first. Even my D7100 won't read the photos on a card out of my D7000. Then I forget and Format it anyway and lose all my pics. 😨