Used D7100...

Bill16

PS. Though I never tried them, there are other macro lenses by other brands that are suppose to work good from the photos I have seen made using them. The Tokina 100mm macro, the Tamron 90mm macro and the Sigma 105mm macro lenses. They as I said suppose to be very good, but I have never tried them. I didn't like the Nikkor AF-S 85mm f2.8 micro lens I tried.

You might want to go to Nikon's website and download the .pdf manual for the D7100. I recommend reading it cover-to-cover. There are a lot of features to play with... The .pdf is nice to have because it's electronically searchable.

Enjoy! :)

Ironwood

Did that yesterday! It's a lot to take in for sure.
You'll be right Dave, it's a big jump, but once you start using it you will get used to it in no time.
I went from the D3100 to the D7100, at first I tried to read the manual all at once, and was wondering if I would ever be able to learn how to use this thing. In the end , l just put it in aperture priority and went out and started shooting it, and read sections of the manual as needed, worked for me.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I never had any of the D3x00 series bodies so I'm not familiar with what options you can set. Some of the setting changes I make are:

• raise the sharpening to 6
  • picture control preference (standard, neutral, vivid--and supposedly the newer models offer flat)
  • AF-A AF-C or AF-S
  • turn off the focus assist light
  • turn off the focus assist beep
  • set ISO (I don't use Auto-ISO much)
  • choose how to set SD card slot (now I use RAW+jpeg fine, large size, and the largest uncompressed RAW setting offered)
  • single or multi point focusing (since I don't do birding or sports, I use single point)
  • date complete with daylight savings time on or off
  • set copyright info so it shows up automatically in the files
  • Active-D Lighting on or off (used to turn it 'on' when taking jpeg drama photos but after switching to RAW, now I keep it off as reports indicate it will affect the RAW files when it is on)

And even if I were to shoot RAW+RAW (no jpeg), I'd still choose the sharpening and picture control settings. One time while shooting drama photos (it was so dark in the balcony I couldn't see anything), I went to change my ISO. The ISO button was in a different location on the back of the camera than it was on the previous Nikon I'd used, and in the dark I accidentally changed the wrong setting. Turns out I switched my RAW+jpeg Large to Jpeg Basic in both slots. :beguiled: So even if I were to only shoot RAW in both slots, I won't take a chance. You never know if you will inadvertently change something and not realize it in time. ;)

Have fun with your camera! :encouragement:

Ta2Dave

So I did tell the wife today...she was on the couch with the boy, I come in and say we need to have a talk, and shut the TV off. (I made the situation sound much more serious than it really was). I told her what a killer deal I got, and would have been dumb to pass it up. She says "Happy Father's day, Merry Christmas and Happy birthday. Turn my damn show back on"...lol

So now I anxiously wait for Tuesdays UPS delivery!

So I did tell the wife today...she was on the couch with the boy, I come in and say we need to have a talk, and shut the TV off. (I made the situation sound much more serious than it really was). I told her what a killer deal I got, and would have been dumb to pass it up. She says "Happy Father's day, Merry Christmas and Happy birthday. Turn my damn show back on"...lol

Wow, you're going to have to wait quite awhile before you can buy some goodies for the new D7100! :)

carguy

Excellent LOL

Ta2Dave

Which macro lens are you looking at,, and have you got the D7100 now.

Camera will be here in the morning. For the lens, I dunno. The Tamron 90mm 2.8 sounds promising, and I've also looked at the Sigma 50mm 2.8.

Or should I get a couple of b+w close up filters...

To much stuff!!! To many numbers!!!

Ironwood

Dave, if you are looking at 2ndhand lenses, the Nikon AF55 f2.8D is superb. I picked mine up for $100, I prefer to use it over my Nikon afs 105 macro, which retails for over $1000 in Australia.

Ta2Dave

20160607_223742.jpg

Yay mail day!!! UPS said it woukd be here by 10am....it was not. Wife called me 5 minutes after I got to work and said it had been dropped off. Figures....

So, as i wait for the battery to charge heres a few things to take note of. I think this thing is brand spankin new. The battery, charger, neck strap, cords, manuals and NX cd and camera are all in sealed factory packaging. There is not a mark on this camera. When the battery charges i will do a shutter test, but im assuming it will be very very very low.

For $450, im happy as heck...but im wondering why Adorama had this one priced like they did....maybe I just got lucky? I dunno...but i cant wait to slap a lens on it and play with it in the morning after i score a couple of sd cards.

Last edited: