Tokina 11 - 16 or Sigma 10 - 20?

skene

I remove any filters on the lens unless there is something I am doing that specifically needs a filter, or unless I am shooting somewhere that I know the possibility of getting the lens damaged/dirtied (ie. when taking pictures of people playing paintball)...
Digital cameras do not need filters on the lens otherwise.

AKRiverRunner

I just bought a Tokina 11-16. I chose this lens because I plan on using it to photograph the northern lights and wanted the fastest lens I could afford.

bigal1000

I just now ordered one from B@H $449 (great price) for my D7100,I bought the older one as I don't need the internal motor. I''ll post some pics when I get it,thanks for all the comments on this thread,it made my mind up to get it.

Last edited:

AKRiverRunner

e6ehepu5.jpg

bigal1000

Been reading some of the threads in this area, the Sigma seems preferred, but based on some Amazon reviews, it seems the inconsistency between lenses is shocking (A lot of people saying their lenses did not focus well or has blurred spots etc). The Tokina seems to have less negative reviews, but also seems less popular, given the choice between the two, what would you go for? The Tokina is also more expensive than the Sigma.

Don't believe everything you read most of the reviewers there(Amazon) don't have a clue what their doing.......though I would always choose Tokina over Sigma....

Last edited:

Welshy74

There is now a £200 difference in price now in the UK. With the Tokina at £535 and the Sigma £359. With the Nikon 10-24mm £639. Dont know what to get

RocketCowboy

My local shop seems to be having a hard time getting the Tokina F mount in stock. They placed the order with Tokina over a month ago, but so far only the Canon lenses have shown up. I don't know if it's a stock issue, order issue, or what.

egosbar

i just got the 11-16 , done a fair bit of research and cant see how the sigma is preferred , most of the reviews etc went with the tokina as the choice , the 12-24 got the best reviews not by much over the tokina but f4 compared to the tokina 2.8 swung me the tokinas way , i want to shoot milky way star shots so the wider aperture was needed , should be here in two days woooooooo , just missed the new moon though , but ill be at the darling river outback australia no light pollution on the 28th of september , im hoping to get some keepers if the weather is clear