Tamron 17-50 or 28-75 f2.8

carguy

Considering selling my 18-55mm and 18-105mm and buy a used Tamron 2.8 lens (finally).

Looking at the Tamron 17-50mm or 28-75mm. While I'd like the increased range of the 28-75mm, I'm not sure which to go with. Sounds like the sharpness is better on the 17-50mm?

I have a D40, shoot mainly portraits (still have the 50mm 1.8 for that), car shows and the kids (indoors and out) during various activities.

Thoughts?

jwstl

If you can only buy one then you need to consider what you like to shoot and what you plan to shoot. If you shoot regularly at 18-24 on your 18-55 buy the 17-50. If you shoot mostly from 28 and longer buy the other one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

carguy

If you can only buy one then you need to consider what you like to shoot and what you plan to shoot. If you shoot regularly at 18-24 on your 18-55 buy the 17-50. If you shoot mostly from 28 and longer buy the other one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I haven't used the 18-55 since January or so when I bought the 50.

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3

carguy

That is my initial thought. Interested to hear other pros or cons quality wise.

Any other 2.8 options similar to the 28-75 in the $400 used range?

Tap'n on the Galaxy S3

Last edited:

carguy

I do use the 18-105. The lower end is good for car shows, thinking the 28 will give me that option as well as the longer reach. Good questions, thank you. I'll roll through my Autorama shots and see where I spent most of my time with the 18-105.

Just started looking break into the 2.8 arena and keep it 'affordable'. Looks like the Sigma and Tamron are my best bet in the price range.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If you can afford it, you could keep the 18-105 just for the wide angle and extra reach (18-28 & 75-105) and get the Tamron 28-75. I think the 28-75 might be more appropriate for portraits.

carguy

That would be ideal, however the 18-105 would need to go to help finance the new lens. Looks like I'll need to sacrifice a little to gain on the other end :D

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
That would be ideal, however the 18-105 would need to go to help finance the new lens. Looks like I'll need to sacrifice a little to gain on the other end :D

Then wait until you've got the money. You'd loose too much range letting go of the 18-105 at this point in my opinion. Sell the 18-55 and save your money until you can buy the lens you really want. In the meantime, you can watch how you use your 18-105 (what focal length is used more). What's the rush if you don't have the funds?

carguy

Not so much a rush, but I've been in a few situations already since I've gone off auto (finally) where the use for a consistent aperture would be nice. I appreciate the advice :)

Jokeman

Joe, I went back and forth between the 17-50 tamron and sigma glass. I ended up going with the sigma. I dont regret it in the least. It is surprisingly sharp. Auto focus is pretty fast also on my D5100. Below is a picture of Elmo shot at 50mm wide open.
DSC_0048.jpg