Talking about processors, Ram and other hardware stuff

paul04

I just went out and bought a 480gig Sandisk SSD and in the process of slapping this in my old puter. If it gives me a significant performance upgrade,

Just got my Sandisk 240GB SSD up and running in my PC, big improvement in speed, you notice the difference when you turn the PC on, a lot faster to load,

lightroom and photoshop are a lot faster to open and load/edit and saving a file.

I just went out and bought a 480gig Sandisk SSD and in the process of slapping this in my old puter. If it gives me a significant performance upgrade, I may just forgo the new machine for another 3 months

Just got my Sandisk 240GB SSD up and running in my PC, big improvement in speed, you notice the difference when you turn the PC on, a lot faster to load,

lightroom and photoshop are a lot faster to open and load/edit and saving a file.

Update on my SSD install. All that I have running on it is the Operating system and my program files and the lightroom catalog. I moved all the user files like documents, musics etc. All photos were on externals already. So far I have about 75 GB of files on the SSD so a lot of room left. I have the Scratch file for Lightroom set at 35GB and it is on the SSD drive also. I am SO VERY HAPPY with this upgrade. Between this and doing a reformat and fresh install of everything and a new video card, this is better than is was when it was new.

Blacktop

Update on my SSD install. All that I have running on it is the Operating system and my program files and the lightroom catalog. I moved all the user files like documents, musics etc. All photos were on externals already. So far I have about 75 GB of files on the SSD so a lot of room left. I have the Scratch file for Lightroom set at 35GB and it is on the SSD drive also. I am SO VERY HAPPY with this upgrade. Between this and doing a reformat and fresh install of everything and a new video card, this is better than is was when it was new.
I'm cloning my drive as we speak. I have 18 minutes left, so Im on my phone posting.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Blacktop

I'm cloning my drive as we speak. I have 18 minutes left, so Im on my phone posting.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

It's done! This thing is much faster. I took out the old HD and duct taped the SSD to the inside of the puter. Haven't tested LR yet but the forum is flying.

paul04

It's done! This thing is much faster. I took out the old HD and duct taped the SSD to the inside of the puter. Haven't tested LR yet but the forum is flying.

I got a adaptor for my SSD, 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch so it would fit into a hard drive bay, but as my PC has two hard drives in, I had to "modify" the adaptor a little to get it in,
All working now, and formatted the old drive, to use as backup.

paul04

Also the sandisk SSD comes with this dashboard so you can monitor the drive.

san.jpg

Blacktop

I got a adaptor for my SSD, 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch so it would fit into a hard drive bay, but as my PC has two hard drives in, I had to "modify" the adaptor a little to get it in,
All working now, and formatted the old drive, to use as backup.

How can I use the old HD as a backup? It only has the two cables that plug into it, but now I have it connected to the SSD.

aroy

1. A CPU with faster clock rate will execute faster, so a 3GHz CPU will be faster than 2GHz one.
2. Multiple cores require parallel processing both at the OS level and at Application Program level. If you have 16 cores then OS will use 1 core normally and the other 15 can be used by the application. Both LR and PS utilize multiple cores when needed, but most of the times they use one or two. Stitching panoramas and image processing programs use up all cores available, so if you are heavily into panorama stitching and your application can use them, the more cores the better. Otherwise if you have the Task Manager open, you will find that most of the time only a couple of cores are used.
3. More RAM will benefit, if and only if the programs use them.
. If you have a few programs open, the OS will try to retain the memory state of each one so that when you switch there is no time lag. For example if you have 5 programs out of which 4 use 1GB RAM and one 6GB, then you will benefit with 10GB or more. The system also uses a lot of RAM, so over and above the 10GB an extra 2-4GB for OS should be factored in.
. If an application can use all the available RAM, then extra RAM helps. On the other hand if an application is limited to say 8GB TAM, then having 64GB is a waste of money.
. If you have excess RAM, say 32GB or even 64GB, you can use that as a temporary storage area.
. Hard disks are fine for storing large amount of data as their prices are quite low on a per GB basis.
. SSD are more expensive, but are upto 10+ times faster, so are used where a lot of data is transferred to and fro disks - OS, cataloging etc. Beware that the speed up also depends on both the SSD speed as well as the bus used to transfer data. Older motherboards may not be able to support the speed the SSD are capable of.
. A new storage media - NVM (Non Volatile Memory) has come up. It is much faster than SSD, but requires special support at MD level. Here is an article on comparisons
https://photographylife.com/nvme-vs-ssd-vs-hdd-performance
5. There are various methods of using older HDD as external storage devices.
. The simplest is to buy a "USB Cage". For larger disks that will come with an external power supply but with smaller Laptop Size disks there is no power supply needed. Just fit the HDD in the cage. Connect power supply (if needed) and connect the cage to the computer using USB cable. This is same as using a normal USB disk available in the market.
. If you have spare slot and your HDD are SATA, install a SATA card and bring the SATA and power cables out from the desktop. Connect the HDD to the SATA and power cable and you can access the external HDD.
. If you have a lot of older disks then you can get an external HDD cabinet with power supply and LAN interface. Put your old HDD in the cabinet, connect the cabinet to your computer using Gigabit Ethernet and you have an external storage.
. Lastly you can do what I have done. I have installed a 4 bay hot plug SATA cage in a 3 bay space in the cabinet. Normally it holds 4 HDD, but when I want to backup, I take one HDD out, put the spare in and read/write to it. It is a hot plug unit - you can take out and put HDD which computer on. I have a stack of old HDD - 80GB, 160GB, 300GB and 750GB after upgrading over time and now use then to store copies data. Every six months I just insert them one by one to check the data. It is now 5 years since I started the process and the HDD used for archiving are all healthy.

By the way, I have found that my 7 year old dual Xeon MB has been able to keep up with modern machines, all these years, in terms of flexibility and throughput. Only now that 4 cores I7 are becoming common, that I find that my 8 cores are feeling dated. If I build a new system, I will again use dual Xeon configuration, but by that time 8, 12 or even 16 cores/CPU will be in the market.

Blacktop

There are various methods of using older HDD as external storage devices.
. The simplest is to buy a "USB Cage". For larger disks that will come with an external power supply but with smaller Laptop Size disks there is no power supply needed. Just fit the HDD in the cage. Connect power supply (if needed) and connect the cage to the computer using USB cable. This is same as using a normal USB disk available in the market.
. If you have spare slot and your HDD

Thanks @aroy. This helps. I totally forgot about those USB enclosures.

paul04

How can I use the old HD as a backup? It only has the two cables that plug into it, but now I have it connected to the SSD.

You can use a USB enclosure like aroy mentioned,

On your motherboard you should have a spare Sata input, so you can just get a new Sata cable (not expensive) and your PC power supply should have 1 or 2 spare power supplies, so you can connect the old drive inside the PC.

richnmib

I have to wait a few weeks until I get my quarterly safety bonus (accident free driving, no citations and watching a 15 minute safety video once a month) from work, which should cover the cost.
I really wanted to surprise my wife with a 12 inch iPad pro with this money.
I just went out and bought a 480gig Sandisk SSD and in the process of slapping this in my old puter. If it gives me a significant performance upgrade, I may just forgo the new machine for another 3 months and get my wife the iPad pro instead.
She's been using the old iPad2 for years.

I just bought my wife a new I Pad mini. Her I Pad was 4 years old! And my daughter dropped it and cracked the screen! SSD makes a huge difference.